* Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-21  4:01 Paul
From: Paul @ 2004-02-21  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does  anyone know what happened to the Alsys OS/2 Ada compiler (& toolset)
after Alsys folded?  I know the Win NT & Unix versions got picked up by
Aonix but I have never seen any mention of the OS/2 version on their
website.  I wrote several Ada programs for OS/2 that are still in use but
the current version of OS/2 (V4.5 convenience pack) crashes when running any
of these programs.  I dug out a copy of the compiler and it will not run at
all - not the install program, the compiler or any of my old ada
executables - not even the "Hello world" one liner.  Obviously there is a
major mismatch somewhere - perhaps in the system dlls.

Ok - I know OS/2 is dead but some are still running it and my client is one.

Our copies of the compiler are V5.5 circa 1995.  I had heard there was a
later version 5.6 maybe.

Is anyone still using this compiler?  Was there a later version?  TIA

Paul

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-21 11:33 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-02-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul wrote:

> Does  anyone know what happened to the Alsys OS/2 Ada compiler (& toolset)
> after Alsys folded?  I know the Win NT & Unix versions got picked up by
> Aonix but I have never seen any mention of the OS/2 version on their
> website.  I wrote several Ada programs for OS/2 that are still in use but
> the current version of OS/2 (V4.5 convenience pack) crashes when running
> any
> of these programs.  I dug out a copy of the compiler and it will not run
> at all - not the install program, the compiler or any of my old ada
> executables - not even the "Hello world" one liner.  Obviously there is a
> major mismatch somewhere - perhaps in the system dlls.
>
> Ok - I know OS/2 is dead but some are still running it and my client is
> one.

You might want to consider a switch to GNAT where an working OS/2 version
(3.15) is available.

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-21 13:19 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-02-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul" <pcas1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Does  anyone know what happened to the Alsys OS/2 Ada compiler (& toolset)
> after Alsys folded?  I know the Win NT & Unix versions got picked up by
> Aonix but I have never seen any mention of the OS/2 version on their
> website.  I wrote several Ada programs for OS/2 that are still in use but
> the current version of OS/2 (V4.5 convenience pack) crashes when running
any
> of these programs.  I dug out a copy of the compiler and it will not run
at
> all - not the install program, the compiler or any of my old ada
> executables - not even the "Hello world" one liner.  Obviously there is a
> major mismatch somewhere - perhaps in the system dlls.

Don't know what happened to it.. Can you still run GNAT?

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/os2/3.12/

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-21 14:26 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-02-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aonix still owns the rights to the product, but I'd guess they'd be
hard-pressed to rebuild one.  You might try contacting them, or try out
the old (but much more recent) version of GNAT that you were pointed to.

- Ed

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22  0:28   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-02-22  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff C, <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
: Don't know what happened to it.. Can you still run GNAT?
:
: ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/os2/3.12/

There is a more recent one in

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/contrib/os2/

with some more material at http://www.unixos2.org/ada/

-- Georg

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22  5:14   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2004-02-22  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed Falis" <falis@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Aonix still owns the rights to the product, but I'd guess they'd be
> hard-pressed to rebuild one.  You might try contacting them, or try out
> the old (but much more recent) version of GNAT that you were pointed to.
>
> - Ed

Thanks Ed, and others who responded.  We were going to give Aonix a call
thru their local agent but I thought I'd give the List a try first.  Tks
Paul

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22  6:14   ` Dave Parsons
From: Dave Parsons @ 2004-02-22  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:19:22 UTC, "Jeff C," <jcreem@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Paul" <pcas1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > Does  anyone know what happened to the Alsys OS/2 Ada compiler (& toolset)
> > after Alsys folded?  I know the Win NT & Unix versions got picked up by
> > Aonix but I have never seen any mention of the OS/2 version on their
> > website.  I wrote several Ada programs for OS/2 that are still in use but
> > the current version of OS/2 (V4.5 convenience pack) crashes when running
> any
> > of these programs.  I dug out a copy of the compiler and it will not run
> at
> > all - not the install program, the compiler or any of my old ada
> > executables - not even the "Hello world" one liner.  Obviously there is a
> > major mismatch somewhere - perhaps in the system dlls.
> >

> Don't know what happened to it.. Can you still run GNAT?
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/os2/3.12/

or maybe

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/contrib/os2/gnat-3.15p-os2-bin-20021124.zip
--
Dave

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22 12:13     ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-02-22 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dave Parsons" <dwparsons@surfeu.de> wrote in message news:Ej0w7lFo08Zw-pn2-

> > Don't know what happened to it.. Can you still run GNAT?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/os2/3.12/
> >

> or maybe

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/contrib/os2/gnat-3.15p-os2-bin-20021124.zip
> --
> Dave

Wow...I looked in the 3.15 directory and never even saw the contrib
directory...Time for the
Lasik surgery.

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22 20:03 Kees de Lezenne Coulander
From: Kees de Lezenne Coulander @ 2004-02-22 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Paul" <pcas1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>Does  anyone know what happened to the Alsys OS/2 Ada compiler (& toolset)
>after Alsys folded?  I know the Win NT & Unix versions got picked up by
>Aonix but I have never seen any mention of the OS/2 version on their
>website.  I wrote several Ada programs for OS/2 that are still in use but
>the current version of OS/2 (V4.5 convenience pack) crashes when running any
>of these programs.  I dug out a copy of the compiler and it will not run at
>all - not the install program, the compiler or any of my old ada
>executables - not even the "Hello world" one liner.  Obviously there is a
>major mismatch somewhere - perhaps in the system dlls.
>
>Ok - I know OS/2 is dead but some are still running it and my client is one.
>
>Our copies of the compiler are V5.5 circa 1995.  I had heard there was a
>later version 5.6 maybe.
>
>Is anyone still using this compiler?  Was there a later version?  TIA
>
>Paul

   I had never heard of an OS/2 version of the Alsys Ada compiler before, so I
cannot help you in that line of investigation. In general, older OS/2 programs
run very well on later incarnations of the operating system. The Convenience
packs (v. 4.5) incorporate major changes to the kernel, but I would hesitate to
blame that without further evidence.

   Ada on OS/2 is not dead, though. Gnat on Intel PC started out as an OS/2
program, before Windows NT became the major PC operating system. Although ACT no
longer provides ready-made binaries for the OS/2 version of the compiler, newer
versions (up to the current 3.15p) are available thanks to the efforts of Dave
Parsons.

   I use gnat 3.14p on OS/2 (v. 4.0) very regularly on fairly large programs and
have never had a problem with it. I have so far not moved up to 3.15p (sorry,
Dave), but I hope to do that one of these days.

   Gnat is of course Ada 95, whereas Alsys was Ada 83. That in itself should
present no great problems. There are just a few minor issues which can be easily
fixed. But if any Alsys-specific libraries are involved, that would of course be
a different matter.

   Feel free to contact me privately, if I can be of any further assistance.

                                  Kees de Lezenne Coulander

--
C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.

cc: "Kees Lezenne Coulander, de" <KeesL@adse.nl>

* Re: Ada & OS/2
@ 2004-02-22 21:59 ` Dave Parsons
From: Dave Parsons @ 2004-02-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:03:23 UTC, Kees de Lezenne Coulander <keesl@adse.nl> wrote:

>    I use gnat 3.14p on OS/2 (v. 4.0) very regularly on fairly large programs and
> have never had a problem with it. I have so far not moved up to 3.15p (sorry,
> Dave), but I hope to do that one of these days.

No problem, but the real challenge is post gcc-2.8.1 now that Innotek
have taken over gcc-3.*.* development. They support c & c++, but none
of the other frontends as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Dave