* OT-spam detection, was Re: WM, and lindens rustled
       [not found] <mailman.9.1074679047.281.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
@ 2004-01-21 18:05 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-01-21 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>correlate biography death peltry clan locutor booty revolution gossip convention natural compressor consummate fecund conrail pathfind transcript gila great slung <BR>
  Surely any spam detector would trivially note that this word sequence is,
statistically, a very unusual English sentence.

* Re: OT-spam detection, was Re: WM, and lindens rustled
@ 2004-01-21 19:28   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-01-21 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

<tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message news:mbzPb.97939$sv6.404211@attbi_s52...
> >correlate biography death peltry clan locutor booty revolution gossip
convention natural compressor consummate fecund conrail pathfind transcript
gila great slung <BR>
>   Surely any spam detector would trivially note that this word sequence
is,
> statistically, a very unusual English sentence.

Certainly mine does. (It uses a dictionary of known common e-mail words.
Most of those aren't in it.) But anything that only works on words (and not
on the relationships) will have trouble with such things, if the words are
valid. Which is why I don't think Bayesian filters work because of the words
(even though that how they are usually described), but rather because of the
HTML markup (which, often hides word lists like that).

              Randy.

* Re: OT-spam detection, was Re: WM, and lindens rustled
@ 2004-01-22  7:56     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-22  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-21, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
> Certainly mine does. (It uses a dictionary of known common e-mail words.
> Most of those aren't in it.) But anything that only works on words (and not
> on the relationships) will have trouble with such things, if the words are
> valid. Which is why I don't think Bayesian filters work because of the words
> (even though that how they are usually described), but rather because of the
> HTML markup (which, often hides word lists like that).

My Bayesian filter filters out these SPAM messages.

Preben
--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: OT-spam detection, was Re: WM, and lindens rustled
@ 2004-01-22 10:41       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-01-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnc0v0i8.r3.randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@k-083152.nt.ntnu.no>, Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> writes:
> On 2004-01-21, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Certainly mine does. (It uses a dictionary of known common e-mail words.
>> Most of those aren't in it.) But anything that only works on words (and not
>> on the relationships) will have trouble with such things, if the words are
>> valid. Which is why I don't think Bayesian filters work because of the words
>> (even though that how they are usually described), but rather because of the
>> HTML markup (which, often hides word lists like that).
>>

> My Bayesian filter filters out these SPAM messages.

For improvement of the Internet, it is better to reject such connections
at the SMTP level, or best of all engage in teergrubing/tarpitting. Such
are typically done based on DNSbls of the email administrator's choice.

* Re: OT-spam detection, was Re: WM, and lindens rustled
@ 2004-01-22 13:06         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-22 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-22, Larry Kilgallen <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote:

> For improvement of the Internet, it is better to reject such connections
> at the SMTP level, or best of all engage in teergrubing/tarpitting. Such
> are typically done based on DNSbls of the email administrator's choice.

Well, since it isn't done I would suspect this approach isn't working.
Besides by the time one find out which DNS that sendt the SPAM they
probably moved to another. Or they broke into a persons machine and used
it. Another solution would be SPAM-viruses etc...

--

@ 2004-01-22 15:47           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-01-22 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnc0vimo.a1.randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@k-083152.nt.ntnu.no>, Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> writes:
> On 2004-01-22, Larry Kilgallen <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote:
>>
>> For improvement of the Internet, it is better to reject such connections
>> at the SMTP level, or best of all engage in teergrubing/tarpitting. Such
>> are typically done based on DNSbls of the email administrator's choice.
>
> Well, since it isn't done I would suspect this approach isn't working.

Stop over to news.admin.net-abuse.email to see all the complaints
from those whose email is rejected.