From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@nospam.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Unifying task & Distributed Annex
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:29:40 GMT
Date: 2009-06-16T17:29:40+00:00	[thread overview]

mamboking wrote:
> One of the things I really like about Erlang is that whether you're
> dealing with local tasks or distributed ones, the syntax is basically
> the same.  I think unifying Tasks & the Distributed Annex would be
> great.  I would like to see everything just go the way of Tasks, local
> and distributed.  Maybe the distributed Tasks could be limited to only
> using rendezvous.  That way you could avoid having to deal with shared
> state.
>
> Just a thought.  Anyone else have any ideas about this?

Well, sure. In 1994. I thought the way to address distribution would be to have
a way to assign tasks to the different machines, with appropriate restrictions.
I also thought that formalizing the concept of passive tasks present in several
Ada-83 compilers would be better than inventing a new construct with a new
reserved word and hard-to-enforce restrictions.

--
Jeff Carter
"You tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms!"