From: "John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Commercial license?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:24:17 -0600
Date: 2003-03-10T22:24:17-06:00	[thread overview]

LOOK, PEOPLE.

A license is a LEGAL DOCUMENT.

It is written in a language that superficially resembles English, but in
fact the resemblance stops there.

A license MUST be drafted by a knowledgeable professional, with expertise in
the subject area.  Doing anything else is foolhardy.

The community here can provide input, state requirements and goals, and
participate in the discussion, but the actual work must be done by a
competent attorney.

I'm a programmer, not a lawyer, and part of my education was learning that I
wasn't a lawyer and should consult one when it was appropriate.

"Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com> wrote in message
I would include the preamble. If you want add a statement that it is not
nominative. The license can also be tailored and certainly can be improved.
I would like to organize a group to work on the license. Besides the text of
the license, we need an ASIS program to calculate the contributions of the
individual developers. I might add that I believe there is real money to be
made, particularly in the creation of Ada powered XML technology. I still
believe that there are very significant advantages to the commercial
software creators of providing their sources.
I suggest that if a group of Ada capitalists can be assembled, we could
start our own mailing list.
Bob Leif