* Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 17:47 nathandsash
From: nathandsash @ 2014-10-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that there are a couple of well-detailed books for ADA in its 95, 2005, and 2012 incarnations. However, I have yet to find any documentation or reading materials of earlier version, namely ADA80 and ADA83. Does anyone know of where to purchase or, at the very least, view and manuals or books on ADA80 and/or ADA83?

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 17:56 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2014-10-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le dimanche 26 octobre 2014 à 10:47 -0700, nathandsash@gmail.com a
écrit :
> I know that there are a couple of well-detailed books for ADA in its 95, 2005, and 2012 incarnations. However, I have yet to find any documentation or reading materials of earlier version, namely ADA80 and ADA83. Does anyone know of where to purchase or, at the very least, view and manuals or books on ADA80 and/or ADA83?

Book not, but I have scanned some pre Ada book that you can find here:

http://pobry.blogspot.fr/2014/05/pre-ada-documents.html

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 17:58 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:47:32 -0700 (PDT), nathandsash@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of where to purchase or, at the very least, view and
> manuals or books on ADA80 and/or ADA83?

The best ever book on Ada 83 is "Ada: An Advanced Introduction" by Narain
Gehani:

http://www.amazon.com/ADA-Advanced-Introduction-Prentice-Hall-software/dp/0130039977/
ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414345987&sr=8-1&keywords=Narain+Gehani+ADA%3A+An+Advanced+Introduction

(The book includes Ada 83 reference manual)

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 18:12   ` nathandsash
From: nathandsash @ 2014-10-26 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:58:24 PM UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:47:32 -0700 (PDT), nathandsash@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of where to purchase or, at the very least, view and
> > manuals or books on ADA80 and/or ADA83?
>
> The best ever book on Ada 83 is "Ada: An Advanced Introduction" by Narain
> Gehani:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/ADA-Advanced-Introduction-Prentice-Hall-software/dp/0130039977/
> ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414345987&sr=8-1&keywords=Narain+Gehani+ADA%3A+An+Advanced+Introduction
>
> (The book includes Ada 83 reference manual)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

When you say that's the best ever book, does that imply that there are more available?

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 20:27     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-10-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 11:12:00 -0700 (PDT), nathandsash@gmail.com wrote:

> When you say that's the best ever book, does that imply that there are more available?

Sure, there were other books on Ada 83. Ada 83 was a popular subject in its
hey days. I don't have Ada 83 bibliography at hand, only the books I still
remember, e.g.

"Ada programming with Applications" by Eugen N. Vasilescu

Why are you looking for Ada 83 books? Notwithstanding any deserved or not
critique of Ada 95, it is a major improvement of Ada. You could ignore Ada
2012 or Ada 2005, but not Ada 95.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-26 20:32 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-10-26 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/2014 10:47 AM, nathandsash@gmail.com wrote:
> I know that there are a couple of well-detailed books for ADA in its 95,
> 2005, and 2012 incarnations. However, I have yet to find any documentation or
> reading materials of earlier version, namely ADA80 and ADA83. Does anyone
> know of where to purchase or, at the very least, view and manuals or books on
> ADA80 and/or ADA83?

Ada is a woman's name, not an acronym.

The Ada-83 reference manual and rationale are available at

http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/ada83/

--
Jeff Carter
"Why, the Mayflower was full of Fireflies, and a few

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-27 16:55   ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2014-10-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:32:05 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> The Ada-83 reference manual and rationale are available at
>
> http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/standards/ada83/

Cohen's book: Ada as a Second Language is pretty good on lots
of technical details and includes sections on differences between
the different releases.  I believe you can find out availability
on Amazon.

Bruce B.

* Re: Documentation/Books for Older Versions of ADA
@ 2014-10-27 22:28     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-10-27 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

<nathandsash@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:58:24 PM UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> When you say that's the best ever book, does that imply that there are
> more available?

There were several dozen books published on Ada 83. Remember, that predates
the Web, so books were pretty much the only way to learn about such things.
(How did we live without Google and Wikis?? ;-) I've got at least a dozen
Ada 83 books on the bookshelf here. My favorite (as described in the
Janus/Ada manual):

Ada in Action
by Do-While Jones
1989, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
ISBN 0471-6078-8
This Ada 83 book is no longer in print, but it can be accessed in various
formats from http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/aia/.

(I just found this link recently when verifying/updating the Janus/Ada
documentation.)

                                  Randy.