* CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending April 24, 1998
@ 1998-04-24  0:00 CFCSEIC
From: CFCSEIC @ 1998-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Center for Computer Systems Engineering News Briefs
Week Ending:  April 24, 1998

CONTENTS:
NEW VERSION OF ADA ENVIRONMENT
WEB PROVIDES ACCESS TO LEGACY DATA
THE Y2K RIPPLE EFFECT
MICROSOFT Y2K PRODUCT RATINGS
AGENCIES WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THREE RECOVERY SERVICES

NEW VERSION OF ADA ENVIRONMENT

Topic:  Ada

OC Systems, Inc. has turned up the power in PowerAda in response to
customer demand.  This newest version of PowerAda is the result of a
close collaboration between OC Systems and PowerAda users.  The software
provides an integrated environment for developing, testing, integrating,
and maintaining complex Ada 83 and Ada 95 applications.  This new
version, 3.1, is source compatible with previous generation products, but
offers improved support for program building, an enhanced graphical user
interface (GUI), and greater configuration management (CM) options.  In
addition to IBM's CMVC
system, PowerAda supports three additional CM tool suites:  CVS, a public
domain extension of RCS; Razor, a highly configurable and streamlined
package from Tower Concepts; and Clearcase, a full-featured CM system
from Rational Software.  This new version of PowerAda also includes a
validated Ada compiler that supports all versions of AIX.  For additional
information, call (703)359-8160, or contact info@ocsystems.com.

Source:  OC Systems, Inc., 9990 Lee Highway, Suite 270, Fairfax, VA 22030
http://www.ocsystems.com.

WEB PROVIDES ACCESS TO LEGACY DATA

Topic:  Software Engineering/Reuse/Y2k

Although this article first appeared in the July 31st issue of
InformationWeek, its subject, creating Web access to legacy systems, is
particularly relevant as Y2k efforts expand to update legacy code.  The
article includes an industry estimate that 70% of all business information
still resides in mainframe databases, and states that according to IBM, the
value of that investment is $5 trillion.  Although legacy technologies have
been regarded as ancient relics, that attitude is changing.  New products,
including terminal-emulation software, that offer Web access to legacy
systems are preserving enormous amounts of software and changing the way
business gets done.  According to the author, Martin J. Garvey, there are
several reasons for this.  Web-browser technology breaks down the "green-
screen" barriers to working with legacy data, and Web activity is
server-centric, which facilitates the management of legacy data.  The Web
interface requires no changes to the legacy systems, and Web-to-host gateways
bring the resources of traditional host environments to browser users.  In
addition, corporate attitudes toward legacy systems are changing in
response to the development of new Web-to-legacy tools that are
inexpensive to maintain, create applications that are easy to deploy, and
let companies create front-end functionality that is not dependent on
back-end alterations.

Source:   Martin J. Garvey, InformationWeek, July 31, 1997
http://www.techweb.com/wire/news/jul/0731legacy1.html

THE Y2K RIPPLE EFFECT

Topic:  Y2k

You have worked night and day and are one of those rare IT managers who
can relax and breathe easy about year 2000 conversions.  Or so you
thought, until you read this article from the April 13th edition of PC
Week Online.  The author, Stephanie Neil, uses Visa to demonstrate the
problem.  Visa will finish testing 131 mainframe applications and 100
client/server programs by the end of the year, but their systems are
still in jeopardy.  According to John McCarthy, Vice President of Visa
International's year 2000 project, they still have to anticipate some
kind of failure in their supply chain, and come up with a contingency
plan.  McCarthy believes that no one can expect to survive the year 2000
unless they test major vendor connections and business partner
interfaces.  As companies become more reliant on electronic data
interchange (EDI), electronic commerce, and other electronic transactions
for
dealing with key partners and suppliers, they are increasingly at risk if
those partners botch their own Y2k projects.  At best, companies like
VISA could find themselves dealing with transaction and data files
containing corrupted date fields.  At worst, they could find critical
suppliers and partners shut down.  Concern about Y2k partner problems is
spreading to other industries.  To help deal with this problem, vendors
are beginning to deliver tools that can help companies assess their Y2k
ripple effect risk by testing business-partner applications and data.
The author concludes that time is running out, and ignorance of external
Y2k risks could eventually sink a company.

Source:  Stephanie Neil, PC Week Online, Apr. 13, 1998
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/pcwo/0413/306363.html

MICROSOFT Y2K PRODUCT RATINGS

Topic:  Y2k/Software Engineering

This article from the April 15th issue of PC Week Online discusses the
Y2k compliance of Microsoft products.  Of the company's 60 top
application and system software products, Microsoft reports that 21 are
only partially Y2k compliant.  According to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 3.x
and 4.x is the chief reason for the lack of total compliance in a number of
these products, and they expect to have a package that will include fixes to
the various Y2k issues plaguing the product in the next sixty days.
Other Microsoft products that are not 100% Y2k-compliant include Windows
95, Windows for Work Groups 3.11, Windows NT Server 4.0, NT Workstation
4.0, various versions of Office 95, Visual Basic 5.0,  Visual Studio
Enterprise 5.0, Access 2.0, Word for MS-DOS 5.0, and Office Professional
4.3.  Microsoft's web site, http://www.microsoft.cm/year2000, provides
recommended steps to compliance for all of its partially compliant
products, and has stated that if a fix or service pack is required for
compliance, the company is committed to providing it to customers for free.

Source:  Mary Jo Foley, PC Week Online, Apr. 15, 1998
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/pcwo/0415/307106.html

AGENCIES WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THREE RECOVERY SERVICES

Topic:  Software Engineering/Y2k

The General Services Administration has awarded contracts to three of the
country's top recovery services:  Comdisco Continuity Services, SunGuard
Recovery Services Inc., and IBM Business Recovery Services.  These
contracts will cover disaster-recovery services to support mainframe,
midrange, and desktop systems.  The three vendors will provide "hot
sites" that federal agencies could move their operations to in case of an
emergency.  Agencies will also be able to use these sites to test their
disaster-recovery plans and seek advice on maintaining their operational
capabilities under emergency conditions.  Although a Y2k testing
capability was not required in the solicitation, Dion Rudnicki, a
client executive at IBM Global Government Industry, believes that Y2k
conversion testing will comprise a large part of the work performed
under these contracts.  David Krohmal, manager of GSA's disaster-recovery
program, believes the contract will eventually serve more than 100 federal
organizations.

Source:  Brad Bass, Federal Computer Week, Apr. 20, 1998
http://www.fcw.com/pubs/fcw/1998/0420/frontgwac-4-20-1998.html

In the body of the message, write:
        subscribe newslist <your name>
To unsubscribe, write:
        unsubscribe newslist
No signatures please.

The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Center for Computer Systems
Engineering Information Clearinghouse (CFCSEIC) "Center for Computer
Systems Engineering News Briefs" is a compilation of summaries from
software engineering-related articles in trade magazines, newsletters and
press releases.

For subscription information about the CFCSEIC DII COE Q&A LISTSERV,
point to:

<http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/cseic/listserv/maillist.html>.

* Re: CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending April 24, 1998
@ 1998-04-24  0:00 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1998-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

CFCSEIC (cseic@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us) wrote:
[...]
> In addition to IBM's CMVC system, PowerAda supports three additional
> CM tool suites:  CVS, a public domain extension of RCS;
[...]

Correction: CVS is freeware, but it is *not* public domain.  It's
coprighted by the FSF and distributed under the GNU General Public
License.

(Usual disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, and I barely speak for myself,
much less anyone else.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst> <*>
Qualcomm, San Diego, California, USA  <http://www.qualcomm.com>