* How to boot only ADA Execution Software in 80x86?
@ 2000-02-19  0:00 Newcoming
From: Newcoming @ 2000-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. I am a novice in ADA language.
I have a question about OS operations of ADA.
I would like to boot only ADA Execution Code in 80x86 system.
Yes, Just ADA stand alone system.
If you know the methods, or reference books, or EM(Engineer
Memo), please let me know. I would be happy.
Please email to me however you know the things little.
That would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

Cheol Hea, Koo
Communication Satellite Department
Korea Aerospace Research Institute
Tel: 82-42-860-2145   Fax: 82-42-860-2007
E-mail: chkoo@kari.re.kr

* Re: How to boot only ADA Execution Software in 80x86?
@ 2000-02-21  0:00 ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Newcoming wrote:

> Hi. I am a novice in ADA language.
> I have a question about OS operations of ADA.
> I would like to boot only ADA Execution Code in 80x86 system.
> Yes, Just ADA stand alone system.
> If you know the methods, or reference books, or EM(Engineer
> Memo), please let me know. I would be happy.
> Please email to me however you know the things little.
> That would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

This is going to be extremely compiler and environment dependent. You
first need to be using a compiler that will produce embeddable code. It
has to have its own runtime environment and make no use of operating
system features. I know Aonix was selling something like this, as are a
number of other compiler manufacturers. Which compiler are you using?

From there, you need to be a little more specific about your 80x86
system. Are you talking about a basic, standard issue PC with a hard
disk and you want to put a program on the disk which will be loaded at
powerup? Or is this a bare board 80x86 wherein you have some sort of
PROM you load up with your software and boot from there?

This sort of problem is difficult to answer without a lot of specifics
about your system. If you provide a little more info, you will likely
find more help here.

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

***PLEASE REMOVE THE "-NOSPAM" PART OF MY RETURN ADDRESS***

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Because that's where they keep the money."
    --  Willie Sutton when asked why he robbed banks.

* Re: How to boot only ADA Execution Software in 80x86?
@ 2000-02-21  0:00   ` Diana Webster
From: Diana Webster @ 2000-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This can be done if the system is running Linux, I believe.  I did something
like this on a Sun Unix box.  I put the executable call in the user's
".cshrc".  The only thing the user could do was come up in my executable
after he logged in.

@ 2000-02-22  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38B16BC2.C22BE050@quadruscorp.com>,
  "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com> wrote:
> Newcoming wrote:
> >
> > I would like to boot only ADA Execution Code in 80x86 system.
> > Yes, Just ADA stand alone system.
> > If you know the methods, or reference books, or EM(Engineer
> > Memo), please let me know. I would be happy.
> > Please email to me however you know the things little.
> > That would be very helpful to me. Thanks.
> >
> first need to be using a compiler that will produce embeddable code.
> It has to have its own runtime environment and make no use of
> operating system features. I know Aonix was selling something like

That's the Ada half of the answer. The first half of the answer, whose
question is more properly phrased as "How do I create and use my own
boot loader and OS on a PC system?", can be found at PC Lube & Tune:
http://pclt.cis.yale.edu/pclt/BOOT/DEFAULT.HTM

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: How to boot only ADA Execution Software in 80x86?
@ 2000-02-22  0:00     ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Diana Webster wrote:

> This can be done if the system is running Linux, I believe.  I did something
> like this on a Sun Unix box.  I put the executable call in the user's
> ".cshrc".  The only thing the user could do was come up in my executable
> after he logged in.

That would be a little different than "boot" code. I got the impression
that the original poster was interested in discarding the operating
system all together and having the system bootstrap an executable from
powerup. That is a little different sort of problem than having the OS
automatically start a specific program at login time.

I imagine only "Newcoming" can tell us what he/she meant - but that's
why I was asking for a little more information. ;-)

@ 2000-02-24  0:00   ` Newcoming
From: Newcoming @ 2000-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com> wrote in message
> This is going to be extremely compiler and environment dependent. You
> first need to be using a compiler that will produce embeddable code. It
> has to have its own runtime environment and make no use of operating
> system features. I know Aonix was selling something like this, as are a
> number of other compiler manufacturers. Which compiler are you using?
>
> From there, you need to be a little more specific about your 80x86
> system. Are you talking about a basic, standard issue PC with a hard
> disk and you want to put a program on the disk which will be loaded at
> powerup? Or is this a bare board 80x86 wherein you have some sort of
> PROM you load up with your software and boot from there?
>
> This sort of problem is difficult to answer without a lot of specifics
> about your system. If you provide a little more info, you will likely
> find more help here.
>
> MDC

Hi. Thanks your explanations.
I would like to run ADA program on normal PC(yes, IBM 100% compatibility
PC).
This computer is pentinum level and normal VGA adaptor, monitor.
I have programmed ADA program with Aonix ObjectADA 7.1 evaluation version.
Shall I make runtime kernel with this tool? I have a plan to program Real
Time system simulator with ADA language and Real Time OS. I want to replace
MS-DOS or MS windows98 with RTOS, e.g. Vxworks, vrtx, qnx, etc, if possilbe,
ADA. Can ADA language do it? Do you know a good RTOS but free? I do not have
a lot money.
If you know something about that, however it maybe little, please let me
know. I will appreciate your kindness. please email me.
Bye. Have a nice day.

mailto:chkoo@kari.re.kr

* Re: How to boot only ADA Execution Software in 80x86?
@ 2000-02-24  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <891t3t$asp$1@news.kari.re.kr>,
  "Newcoming" <chkoo@kari.re.kr> wrote:
> If you know something about that, however it maybe little,
please let me
> know. I will appreciate your kindness. please email me.
> Bye. Have a nice day.

Why not investigate RtLinux