* re: enumeration literal/internal codes query
@ 1989-01-13 21:29 rracine
From: rracine @ 1989-01-13 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arny Engelson asks:
>After specifying internal codes for the literals of an enumeration type
>using an enumeration representation clause, how do you (later in the
>code) find out what internal codes were specified?

The only way is by using UNCHECKED_CONVERSION.

I have never heard an explanation as to why the POS attribute returns the
value as if the type had no representation clause.  There is no explanation
in the Rationale.

Roger Racine
C. S. Draper Laboratory, Inc.
rjr1287@draper.com

* enumeration literal/internal codes query
@ 1989-01-09 15:25 Arny B. Engelson
From: Arny B. Engelson @ 1989-01-09 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

A coworker came to me with what I thought was a simple question, but I
don't see a way to do what he wants.  Am I missing a language feature,
or is there a language feature missing?

Here's the question:
   After specifying internal codes for the literals of an enumeration type
   using an enumeration representation clause, how do you (later in the
   code) find out what internal codes were specified?

   Note that this question actually is the same whether or not an
   enumeration rep clause is used.  How do you find out the internal codes?

Arny Engelson    (att,ihnp4,clyde)!wayback!arny    (201) 386-4816