* best ADA 95 bible ?
@ 2000-02-18  0:00 uncloudmyheart
From: uncloudmyheart @ 2000-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
I'm about to buy a good ADA 95 book that's structured enough
to be used as a reference book but will also serve as a good
introduction to the language. Is there such a book ?
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: best ADA 95 bible ?
@ 2000-02-18  0:00 ` Jim Rogers
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Rogers @ 2000-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88jfug$sp1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  uncloudmyheart@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi
> I'm about to buy a good ADA 95 book that's structured enough
> to be used as a reference book but will also serve as a good
> introduction to the language. Is there such a book ?
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Assuming that you have already learned some other programming language,
I recommend "Ada As A Second Language" Second Edition by Norman Cohen.
I use this book as one of my two major reference resources on Ada.
The other is the Language Reference Manual.

--
Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

@ 2000-02-19  0:00 ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 2000-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88jfug$sp1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  uncloudmyheart@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi
> I'm about to buy a good ADA 95 book that's structured enough
> to be used as a reference book but will also serve as a good
> introduction to the language. Is there such a book ?
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Dittos on Norm's book.

Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: best ADA 95 bible ?
@ 2000-02-19  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Roberts @ 2000-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Programming in Ada 95" by John Barnes [Addison-Wesley 1996, ISBN
0201877007] is often considered to be the canonical book on Ada 95.

I think its greatest strengths are that it covers nearly all aspects of the
language, that it is always precise, and that it covers the important
subjects in some depth. However, this book discusses the language largely
from the point of view of a computer scientist or experienced programmer; it
might be rather overwhelming for someone learning to program.

Hoping this unclouds your heart just a little,
;-)

--
Nick Roberts
http://www.adapower.com/lab/adaos

* Re: best ADA 95 bible ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-02-20  0:00 ` uncloudmyheart
From: uncloudmyheart @ 2000-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok, thanks guys

In article <88jfug$sp1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  uncloudmyheart@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi
> I'm about to buy a good ADA 95 book that's structured enough
> to be used as a reference book but will also serve as a good
> introduction to the language. Is there such a book ?
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: best ADA 95 bible ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-03-02  0:00 ` HDhil
From: HDhil @ 2000-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are looking for a bible/reference, try

Ada As a Second Language
(McGraw-Hill Series in Computer Science)
by Norman H. Cohen
1995

It's probably one of the few books that works equally as well as a
comprehensive introduction to Ada 95.

Cheers.

-Harry