From: "Ken Garlington" <Ken.Garlington@computer.org>
Subject: Pragma Inspection_Point and Caching
Date: 2000/02/16
Date: 2000-02-16T06:15:48+00:00	[thread overview]

An engineer asked me a question today, and I didn't feel I had a
particularly good answer, so I'm trolling for another one. Here's the
question: Based on the definition of pragma Inspection_Point, does the
compiler have any obligation to attempt to defeat caching (assuming the
underlying ISA allows some or all of the cache to be flushed), if the
debugging system does not have access to the cache?

I mumbled something about "even the ARM has limits to its scope, and caching
is outside it," but given the discussion in the Annex and in the Rationale,
this didn't seem to satisfy her (or me).