From: Richard D Riehle <LaoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Ada vs. C++
Date: 2000/02/15
Date: 2000-02-15T00:39:01+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <38A7EE61.353F9ECF@edf.fr>,
	Vincent DIEMUNSCH <vincent.diemunsch@edf.fr> wrote:

>G a �crit :
>
>>   Has anyone done any measurements on the different speeds and
>> memory requirements of comparable applications written in C++
>> and Ada95.  I am learning both languages.

Alas, comparisons of this sort are not very useful.   Even when Ada is
superior, C++ is chosen.  We just received word from another client
working on a large-scale DoD safety-critical system that they are going
to switch to more C++.  This is just another in the long list of those
we have heard from, since abrogation of the DoD Ada single-language policy
who have made the ridiculous decision to abandon Ada in favor of C++.

For some of these companies, the reason for choosing C++ has nothing to do
with the relative merits of the two languages.  It has little to do with
abrogation of the Ada policy. It has a lot to do with the quality of the Ada
compilers and associated tools, especially debugging tools.  For a least
one platform, we are told it has to do with the unavailability of a satisfactory
compiler and associated support.

C++, when compared to Ada, is pretty awful.  Some of those abandoing Ada even
admit that. C++ tools, consulting support, trained personnel, and available
infrastructure seem to overwhelm Ada from the perspective of those building software.

We can complain about the stupidity of those who select C++ over Ada, but they
are making their decisions on the basis of other factors than relative quality
of the two language designs.

On the positive side, some commercial developers are showing themselves to be
smarter than the DoD contractors, and selecting Ada.  This is a small group at
present.  It is also a demanding group.   If they don't get the support they
need, the tools required to do their work, and the compilers that actually
perform as expected, they will drop their commitment faster than you can
say Countess of Lovelace.

A couple of the Ada compiler vendors are demonstrating some entrepreneurial
spirit.  Others are still operating under the "feeding at the DoD trough model."
Any organization that says, "We could build that, but who will fund it?" is
lost before it starts.   If there is a market, build products to support it.
If there is no market, can one be created?   No one is going to "fund" the
Ada industry anymore.  Although abrogation of the "mandate" was absurdly
premature, we are now going to survive or not under the rules of the free
market place.

I wonder if this problem can be corrected.  I hope so.  I worry about the
use of C++ in safety-critical weapon systems.  I worry about sending our
service personnel into harm's way using C++.  But we in the Ada industry
are as much at fault for these bad decisions as those who are making them.

C++ versus Ada.  Sheesh!  Doggerel versus great literature.  Rap music
versus Mozart.  "You can lead a horticulture but ... "

Richard Riehle