From: jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.)
Subject: Re: How do I avoid 'use' in this case?
Date: 11 Mar 93 18:17:37 GMT
Date: 1993-03-11T18:17:37+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1993Mar11.163904.18135@fcom.cc.utah.edu> val@fcom.cc.utah.edu (Val Kartchner) writes:
>I know that the usage of 'use' is discouraged.  I generally agree, but I do
>not see a way around it in this case.  Is there something that I'm missing?

Val -- this is not an answer to your question, but a request for a little more
'context' [8*) on the original post.

I can understand the discouragement of 'use' for context clauses, though we
steered a middle ground in our group, trying to achieve readable source by
meaningful names and judicious 'use' context clauses.

We also have extensive memory-mapped, heterogeneous I/O to work with.  Is there
some alternative to 'use' in a representation clause?  Are the no-'use'
switches in the editors smart enough to know the difference?

Thanks --jmm--

--
John M. Mills, SRE; Georgia Tech/GTRI/TSDL, Atlanta, GA 30332
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm59