* Re: Ada to Java Native Interface (JNI) Bindings
@ 1997-12-18  0:00   ` shayne
From: shayne @ 1997-12-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <67bm8j$bam$12@mdnews.btv.ibm.com>,
  pontius@btv.MBI.com (Dale Pontius) wrote:

> In article <34989114.4457@ainslie-software.com>,
>         Shayne Flint <shayne@ainslie-software.com> writes:
> >
> >     gcc, nm, sed, ar and dlltool from the b18 Cygnus distribution
> >
> So this sounds Win32-only. Is there any reason to believe the
> technique couldn't be adapted to other platforms?

No, it should work on UNIX. The Ada and C layers are stock standard, so
it should be OK. You may need to fiddle with some of the pragmas. I have
Solaris here but no time right now to check it out. Sorry. Maybe someone
out there can do the port and mail it to me so that it can be put on my
ftp site along with the Win32 version.

* Ada to Java Native Interface (JNI) Bindings
@ 1997-12-18  0:00 Shayne Flint
From: Shayne Flint @ 1997-12-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have posted our attempt at such a beast to:

     ftp://ftp.ainslie-software.com/pub/AdaJNI

The bindings were developed for internal use and later abandoned. They
are
not documented, properly tested, or complete. They do, however, offer a
good start for anyone wanting to talk to the JNI.

The bindings will allow you to call Java methods and manipulate Java
fields
from a native Ada application.

You will need the following software to build and use the bindings:

    Gnat 3.10p (or something similar)
    JDK 1.1.4
    gcc, nm, sed, ar and dlltool from the b18 Cygnus distribution

The bindings distribution includes a test program to get you started.

If there are any troubles with the distribution please email me.

-- Shayne Flint, MIEAust, CPEng        shayne@ainslie-software.com
-- Ainslie Software Pty Limited    http://www.ainslie-software.com
--
--      ShapeDB, a database and form drawing add-on for Visio

* Re: Ada to Java Native Interface (JNI) Bindings
@ 1997-12-18  0:00 ` Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 1997-12-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34989114.4457@ainslie-software.com>,
        Shayne Flint <shayne@ainslie-software.com> writes:

>     gcc, nm, sed, ar and dlltool from the b18 Cygnus distribution

So this sounds Win32-only. Is there any reason to believe the
technique couldn't be adapted to other platforms?

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)