* ObjectAda warning message ?
@ 1997-12-02  0:00 anders
From: anders @ 1997-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using ObjectAda version 7.1. When compiling existing Ada83 code I am
receiving the following warning message:

Warning: line 269 col 4 LRM:13.3(16), Object does not have a meaningful
address, returning a null address

This message is repeated 11 times and points to a begin statement.

Any idea what this is about?

* Re: ObjectAda warning message ?
@ 1997-12-02  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

anders asks

<<Warning: line 269 col 4 LRM:13.3(16), Object does not have a meaningful
address, returning a null address

This message is repeated 11 times and points to a begin statement.

Any idea what this is about?

With no more information, such as the object in question, about the best
guess one can make is that you applied the Address attribute to an object
that does not have a meaningful address!

The extent to which people expect readers of this group to be telepathic
and guess what code they submitted to the compiler always amazes me!

* Re: ObjectAda warning message ?
@ 1997-12-02  0:00 ` Kevin Radke
From: Kevin Radke @ 1997-12-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <881078602.5575@dejanews.com>,  <anders@simbalsyd.se> wrote:
>I am using ObjectAda version 7.1. When compiling existing Ada83 code I am
>receiving the following warning message:
>
>Warning: line 269 col 4 LRM:13.3(16), Object does not have a meaningful
>address, returning a null address

<telepathic mode on>

This warning is usually generated by OA when the code contains a very
"dynamic" data structure, and the compiler was unable to create
"meaningful" debugging information for the structure.  Therefore
it decides to create "no information" (I.E. returning a null address).

It is harmless just to ignore the warning, or you can make it go
away by not compiling with debug turned on.  (Either way, you
probably won't be able to see meaningful information about the
offending data structure in the debugger.)

All 11 warnings are probably referring to variables declared of
a certain type, but without the code it is very hard to guess...

I was able to remove similiar warnings about my code by declaring
a variable as a constant that was used in some type definitions using arrays.
(I was really using it as a constant, just never thought to declare it
 that way...)

Kevin

* Re: ObjectAda warning message ?
@ 1997-12-03  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1997-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <881078602.5575@dejanews.com> anders@simbalsyd.se writes:

>I am using ObjectAda version 7.1. When compiling existing Ada83 code I am
>receiving the following warning message:
>
>Warning: line 269 col 4 LRM:13.3(16), Object does not have a meaningful
>address, returning a null address

Hard to tell without the code, but it might point to the fact that an
object is kept in a register or is optimized away, maybe you are inlining
the function ?

--

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Consultant     | Team Ada