From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org>
Subject: Re: character matching
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:52:49 +0200
Date: 2004-08-15T16:53:16+02:00	[thread overview]

"John J" writes:
> Thanks for the suggestions; however, I'm trying to learn a bit about
> the syntax and capabilities of ADA. Would someone be kind enough to
> give me some examples of how I can use ADA to character match. ie,
> different ways I can use '*', '&' to successfully recognise words
> and sentences.
>
> Thanks

type Category is (Whitespace, Punctuation, Letter, Digit, Other);

function Category_Of (C : in Character) return Category is
begin
   case C is
      when ' ' | ASCII.TAB =>                     return Whitespace;
      when ',' | '.' | '!' | ';' | ':' | '?' =>   return Punctuation;
      when 'a' .. 'z' | 'A' .. 'Z' =>             return Letter;
      when '0' .. '9' =>                          return Digit;
      when others =>                              return Other;
   end case;
end Category_Of;

I hope this helps you move forward.  Is this a homework assignment?

(note that in Ada, a "case" statement is required to process all
possible values of the case_expression (here, C); the compiler will
tell you if you forgot some values, unless as above you use "when
others").

--
Ludovic Brenta.