From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject: Re: static GtkAda
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:19:22 +0200
Date: 2004-08-25T22:19:22+02:00	[thread overview]

* Adrian Knoth:

> And there are other things I didn't know: it's not sufficient to
> include all the static libraries it's also important in which *order*
> you mention them. This order above works, if you move some of
> the libs below (let's say libz) to the beginning of the list the
> linking process fails. Until now I don't know why. Someone else?

Libraries are read in the order specified on the command line, and
object files contained in them are only kept if they contain a
previously undefined symbol, AFAIK.  This means that undefined
references in libraries listed later in the command line cannot be
resolved by object files that have already been skipped.

You should really use libtool's machinery, it deals with all those
corner cases.