From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org>
Subject: Re: Application Size in Ada
Date: 15 Apr 2004 20:13:05 +0200
Date: 2004-04-15T20:10:48+02:00	[thread overview]

Simon Lewis writes:
> Dear All,
>
> Why do the binaries that I built seem to be huge? I know this is a
> bit of an open ended question... (no "how long is a piece of string"
> related answers please)

It depends.

The compiler normally inserts run-time checks in the code; this can be
turned on or off.

The Ada run-time may be linked statically into your application, or
not.  This would be the biggest contributor to the size of your
executables.

The executable file may contain debugging information.

The executable file may contain instrumentation code to perform
coverage analysis with unit tests.

If you can be more specific about your compiler and target platform,
perhaps we can answer your question more precisely.

> I'm using tasks in my application.  Does this add extra code into
> the binary to ensure time slicing?.  I was just wondering where all
> the bloat is coming from.

Tasking may add some overhead, if you link the Ada run-time library
statically into your executable.

> On a separate issue... I have found an IDE called GPS (GNAT
> Programming System)  Is this considered the 'thing to use' or are you
> all writing your ADA in emacs (or equivalent)?  (No flames Please ;) )
>
> Thanks for your responses

Emacs.

But I packaged GPS for Debian, so I won't discourage you from using
it.  GPS is pretty good, it even has some features not in emacs
(gasp!)

BTW, at 11 Mb or so, the executable file for GPS is the largest I know
of in Debian, even when stripped and linked dynamically with the Ada
run-time and GtkAda.  On GNU/Linux, object code produced by GNAT does
tend to be larger than in some other languages.  Do you consider this
a problem?

P.S. In the subject line, I have corrected the spelling of Ada.  It is
not an acronym, it is a lady's name.

--
Ludovic Brenta.