* Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-08  9:27 Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2005-06-08  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On page <http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada06.html>, you find the newest
Ada 2006 reference manual (draft 11), allegedly downloadable in various
formats.

Is anyone able to actually download any of these? I can't.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-08  9:56 ` Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler
From: Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler @ 2005-06-08  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Grein wrote:

> On page <http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada06.html>, you find the
> newest Ada 2006 reference manual (draft 11), allegedly downloadable in
> various formats.
>
> Is anyone able to actually download any of these? I can't.

-- 8< -- snip --
vh@www:~/downloads > wget http://www.adaic.com/standards/rm-amend/RM.pdf
--09:53:47--  http://www.adaic.com/standards/rm-amend/RM.pdf
           => `RM.pdf.1'
Connecting to www.adaic.com:80... connected!
Length: 2,738,281 [application/pdf]

    0K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [  1%]
   50K -> .......... .......... ......
-- 8< -- snip --

It's not particularly fast, but yes, I can download them.

Vinzent.

--
worst case: The wrong assumption there actually is one.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-08 10:06 ` Chris Saunders
From: Chris Saunders @ 2005-06-08 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Grein wrote:

> On page <http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada06.html>, you find the newest
> Ada 2006 reference manual (draft 11), allegedly downloadable in various
> formats.
>
> Is anyone able to actually download any of these? I can't.

I attempted to download this file using Mozilla and had no luck.
I then tried doing "save target as" using Internet Explorer.
Neither worked.
I then just left clicked on the link from Internet Explorer which
loaded it into Acrobat Reader and then I could save it to disk.

Regards
Chris Saunders

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-08 10:08   ` Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2005-06-08 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: comp.lang.ada

Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler wrote:

>-- 8< -- snip --
>vh@www:~/downloads > wget http://www.adaic.com/standards/rm-amend/RM.pdf
>--09:53:47--  http://www.adaic.com/standards/rm-amend/RM.pdf
>           => `RM.pdf.1'
>Connecting to www.adaic.com:80... connected!
>HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>Length: 2,738,281 [application/pdf]
>
>    0K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [  1%]
>   50K -> .......... .......... ......
>-- 8< -- snip --
>
>It's not particularly fast, but yes, I can download them.

Funny, I can't, it stops aften 4128 bytes. And if I try to open it
online, the document is empty:

@ 2005-06-08 20:36   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-06-08 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Saunders" <chris.saunders@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Christoph Grein wrote:
> > On page <http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada06.html>, you find the newest
> > Ada 2006 reference manual (draft 11), allegedly downloadable in various
> > formats.
> >
> > Is anyone able to actually download any of these? I can't.
>
> I attempted to download this file using Mozilla and had no luck.
> I then tried doing "save target as" using Internet Explorer.
> Neither worked.
> I then just left clicked on the link from Internet Explorer which
> loaded it into Acrobat Reader and then I could save it to disk.

I've had a lot of trouble downloading PDFs from any site; I presume it has
something to do with the Adobe Acrobat plugins. The technique that works the
best is the one you describe. I think this is a browser issue, not a server
one.

Plenty of people have downloaded these files, so it seems that most problems
are likely to be on your end. (Never certain, of course.)

BTW, a new version (draft 12) should be up in the next week; watch for it.

                       Randy.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-09  4:36     ` Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2005-06-09  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Randy Brukardt wrote:

>I've had a lot of trouble downloading PDFs from any site; I presume it has
>something to do with the Adobe Acrobat plugins. The technique that works the
>best is the one you describe. I think this is a browser issue, not a server
>one.
>
>Plenty of people have downloaded these files, so it seems that most problems
>are likely to be on your end. (Never certain, of course.)
>
>BTW, a new version (draft 12) should be up in the next week; watch for it.
>
>                       Randy.

Not sure that this is on my side. Normally I can open PDFs without
problems, and also
download works. With this site, I cannot open nor download.

Someone else copied them to his site and made them available to me :-)
 From there, I can
access them without any problems.

So it seems it also has something to do with your site :-( I'm afraid.

Hope that with draft 12, the problems have been solved :-)

Christoph Grein

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-09  7:42       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-06-09  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 06:36:58 +0200, Christoph Grein wrote:

> Randy Brukardt wrote:
>
>>I've had a lot of trouble downloading PDFs from any site; I presume it has
>>something to do with the Adobe Acrobat plugins. The technique that works the
>>best is the one you describe. I think this is a browser issue, not a server
>>one.
>>
>>Plenty of people have downloaded these files, so it seems that most problems
>>are likely to be on your end. (Never certain, of course.)

> Not sure that this is on my side. Normally I can open PDFs without
> problems, and also
> download works. With this site, I cannot open nor download.

I think Randy is right. It should definitely be that nasty Firefox-Acrobat
problem, known for a long time. Newer versions of both are working somehow
better. Anyway my Firefox 1.0.4 + Acrobat 7.0.1 managed to show
http://www.adaic.com/standards/rm-amend/AA-Final.pdf.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-10 13:45     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-06-10 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote...
> BTW, a new version (draft 12) should be up in the next week; watch for it.

Hello Randy,

I was reading draft 11 and noticed that it is technically an Amendment to
ISO 8652:1995(E).  Is it anticipated that ISO will publish a new Edition,
i.e. ISO 8652:2006?  If not, then I would like to refer you to...

ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with COR.1:2001 and AMD.1:200y,
� D.13.1(4.a/2)

:)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-10 19:12       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-06-10 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message
> Randy Brukardt wrote...
> > BTW, a new version (draft 12) should be up in the next week; watch for
it.

> Hello Randy,
>
> I was reading draft 11 and noticed that it is technically an Amendment to
> ISO 8652:1995(E).  Is it anticipated that ISO will publish a new Edition,
> i.e. ISO 8652:2006?

That's up to ISO, not us. I've asked that WG 9 consider making a
recommendation, but WG 9 has not yet considered that request.

>  If not, then I would like to refer you to...
>
> ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with COR.1:2001 and AMD.1:200y,
> � D.13.1(4.a/2)
>
> :)

The editorial corrections haven't yet been applied yet to that part of the
Draft, and I know one of them is to change that note. Apparently, the
editor's opinion is not widely held. :-)

                         Randy.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-11  9:16       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-06-11  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I'm forwarding a response I received from Dirk Craeynest:]

Ludovic,

You wrote in comp.lang.ada:

= Randy Brukardt wrote...
= > BTW, a new version (draft 12) should be up in the next week; watch
= > for it.
=
= Hello Randy,
=
= I was reading draft 11 and noticed that it is technically an Amendment
= to ISO 8652:1995(E).  Is it anticipated that ISO will publish a new
= Edition, i.e. ISO 8652:2006?

As you may remember, Ada-Europe is sponsoring the production of a s.c.
"Consolidated Reference Manual", i.e. the work that Randy is doing to
produce the RM and ARM drafts that you refer to.

In one of the letters I sent to the Ada-Belgium members, I wrote:

---start-extract---
The work on the next Ada language standard is progressing nicely and
is on track.  The Ada-Europe organization, of which you are an indirect
member through Ada-Belgium, is supporting the standardization process
in various ways, among others by working to assure the new standard
will be freely available on-line and will also be published by Springer
in the LNCS series, plus giving extensive coverage in the Ada User
Journal of the vision, strategy and progress of the s.c. Ada 0Y
language revision process. [...]
---end-extract---

What I can tell you as well, is that at the next meeting of WG9 (later
this month in York), one item on the agenda is a motion to request ISO
to publish this consolidated reference manual (in addition to the
amendment itself).  But that decision is of course up to ISO to take...

In any case, Ada-Europe is working to get the consolidated reference
manual printed in Springer's Lecture Notes in Computer Science series,
which will make the RM easily available in printed form world-wide.

= If not, then I would like to refer you to...
=
= ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with COR.1:2001 and AMD.1:200y,
= § D.13.1(4.a/2)
=
= :)

Hadn't seen that before...

Related to that, one of the quotes I have on
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/quotes.html> is:

---start-quote---
The draft Ravenscar Java [is] being based on Ada.  Perhaps
this should be pointed out and people should say the full form
"Reliable Ada Verifiable Executive Needed for Scheduling Critical
Applications in Real-time" more often.

        -- Colin Paul Gloster [...] 2004/09/13
---end-quote---

So instead of using a more descriptive name, we should indeed use the
full form somewhat more: it is quite descriptive already.

= Ludovic Brenta.

Dirk Craeynest
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9, Head of Delegation, Belgium
(Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be for Ada-Belgium/Europe/WG9 mail)

PS: No easy news access now, feel free to forward what you deem to be
useful to the thread in comp.lang.ada.

* Re: Ada 2006 working documents
@ 2005-06-11  9:17         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-06-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Craeynest writes:
> ---start-quote---
> The draft Ravenscar Java [is] being based on Ada.  Perhaps
> this should be pointed out and people should say the full form
> "Reliable Ada Verifiable Executive Needed for Scheduling Critical
> Applications in Real-time" more often.
>
>         -- Colin Paul Gloster [...] 2004/09/13
> ---end-quote---

I like that :) this shows that anything can be construed as an
acronym.

--
Ludovic Brenta.