* The GNU Ada: Homepage online.
@ 2005-12-18 18:55 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-12-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I also got the homepage online today. The first page added is about creating
RPM packages. As I said: this project can only be a success if as many
maintainers join in to provide as many platforms as possible.

There where lots of discussion about the GNAT/GPL edition and that we need
GMGPL editions as well. And that a comunity effort might help here. Now
here we are.

And while the compile takes several hours typing "rpmbuild -ba" won't take
more then a few seconds. So we should at least get a good collection of rpm
based packages out of the door.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: The GNU Ada: Homepage online.
@ 2005-12-18 19:18 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-12-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I also got the homepage online today. The first page added is about creating
> RPM packages. As I said: this project can only be a success if as many
> maintainers join in to provide as many platforms as possible.
>
> There where lots of discussion about the GNAT/GPL edition and that we need
> GMGPL editions as well. And that a comunity effort might help here. Now
> here we are.
>
> And while the compile takes several hours typing "rpmbuild -ba" won't take
> more then a few seconds. So we should at least get a good collection of rpm
> based packages out of the door.
>
> Martin

Do you have any plans to coordinate this with the GCC maintainers of
all RPM-based distributions?  It would be nice if these "community"
builds of GNAT showed up as the default in Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva
and SuSE.

Of course, this is already the case in Debian and FreeBSD :)

I'm starting to work on the transition from gnat to GCC 4.1 now.  I
will give an update on this transition during the FOSDEM in late
February.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: The GNU Ada: Homepage online.
@ 2005-12-18 21:13   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-12-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I also got the homepage online today. The first page added is about
>> creating RPM packages. As I said: this project can only be a success if
>> as many maintainers join in to provide as many platforms as possible.
>>
>> There where lots of discussion about the GNAT/GPL edition and that we
>> need GMGPL editions as well. And that a comunity effort might help here.
>> Now here we are.
>>
>> And while the compile takes several hours typing "rpmbuild -ba" won't
>> take more then a few seconds. So we should at least get a good collection
>> of rpm based packages out of the door.
>>
>> Martin
>
> Do you have any plans to coordinate this with the GCC maintainers of
> all RPM-based distributions?  It would be nice if these "community"
> builds of GNAT showed up as the default in Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva
> and SuSE.

That would be nice indeed. I have to see. One step at a time. First we need
to see if the packages are ok - nobody apart from me tested them. Then we
need the libraries as well.

> Of course, this is already the case in Debian and FreeBSD :)

Yes, real comunity distribution. It might be easier to add something there
then in the comertial distribution.

> I'm starting to work on the transition from gnat to GCC 4.1 now.  I
> will give an update on this transition during the FOSDEM in late
> February.

BTW: There is a 2nd part to the project: A repository of script files to
create the packages. Perhaps you would like to share the scripts you use?

Martin
--

@ 2005-12-18 23:24     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-12-18 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 22:13 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> > Of course, this is already the case in Debian and FreeBSD :)
>
> Yes, real comunity distribution. It might be easier to add something there
> then in the comertial distribution.

I wonder whether an alien(1p) transformation from GNAT deb packages to
GNAT rpm packages couldn't make thing quite a bit easier.
Perhaps in a chrooted environment.

This could also help with:

@ 2005-12-19  9:46     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-12-19  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> BTW: There is a 2nd part to the project: A repository of script files to
> create the packages. Perhaps you would like to share the scripts you use?

They are already shared, as is policy with Debian.  Anyone can get
them from [1].  Look for the latest .diff.gz, it is a diff against the
pristine upstream tarball (which, incidentally, is in the
.orig.tar.gz).

[1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnat/

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: The GNU Ada: Homepage online.
@ 2005-12-19 18:47       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-12-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>> BTW: There is a 2nd part to the project: A repository of script files to
>> create the packages. Perhaps you would like to share the scripts you use?
>
> They are already shared, as is policy with Debian.  Anyone can get
> them from [1].  Look for the latest .diff.gz, it is a diff against the
> pristine upstream tarball (which, incidentally, is in the
> .orig.tar.gz).
>
> [1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnat/

Yes, I can see why debian is so successfull.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net