From: "Saša Janiška" <sjaniska@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ada vs Eiffel
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 21:37:40 +0200
Date: 2019-10-14T21:37:40+02:00	[thread overview]

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> writes:

> Note that with Ada, at least, you can obtain free compilers that do
> not impose the GPL on your program.

You mean FSF version of GNAT?

> In real-world software, Ada's separation of package specification and
> body turns out to be very important. Eiffel lacks this.

OK.

> Ada's separation of encapsulation and information hiding (packages)
> from the type system is also very important. I'm not familiar enough
> with Eiffel to know whether it has something like this, but many other
> languages only provide encapsulation and information hiding through
> types.

Well, Ada's type system is really great, afaict.

> Finally, Ada's high-level concurrency features are very
> important for correctly modeling problem domains that are inherently
> concurrent, such as GUIs. I think Eiffel lacks anything similar.

I read that Eiffel has SCOOP:

https://www.eiffel.com/values/parallel-programming/

> An easy way to build portable GUI applications is to use Gnoga. As it
> uses a browser for the GUI, it is completely portable between
> platforms.

I heard about Gnoga, not sure if it is further developed, but, if
possible, I'd rather stay away from browsers...

Sincerely,
Saša

--
He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation
and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.