From: Florian Weimer <fw@s.netic.de>
Subject: Re: Newbie question : types , representation
Date: 1999/08/27
Date: 1999-08-27T21:11:16+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@bix.com writes:

>    From_Base64 : array(Base64, Base64, Base64, Base64) of Byte_Triple;

> On my P200, this sort of thing executes at a rate of about 6 Base64
> characters, or 4 Byte's, converted each microsecond.  Using a
> modern fast CPU you would approach being I/O bound.

You are kidding, aren't you?

From_Base64 is an array which is at least 48 MB in size.  If you're
encoding a compressed binary file, there will be a lot of cache misses,
which are terribly expensive.  And by the time the array has been
initialized, other methods will already have finished the conversion.