From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Ada in Debian: transition to GCC 4.2
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:34:03 +0200
Date: 2007-10-10T00:34:03+02:00	[thread overview]

The transition of Debian to GCC 4.2 has started.  Debian Unstable
deserves its name.

Thanks to massive help from Xavier Grave, gnat-4.2 now provides a
version of the Ada run-time using the setjump/longjump exception
handling mechanism.  This new run-time library is only provided in
static form as an alternative to the existing zero-cost exception
handling mechanism, which is still provided as both static and shared
libraries.

The SJLJ version of the run-time is particularly important for Annex E
distributed systems.  In addition to his work on gnat-4.2, Xavier
Grave has also updated the gnat-glade package to version 2007, using
the SJLJ library.  His initial testing shows quite an improvement over
gnat-glade 2006 using the ZCX mechanism.  gnat-glade is almost ready
for upload but still needs a little polishing.  We will upload it in a
few days.

Before gnat-glade, I will upload a new and final gnat-4.1 which no
longer provides libgnatprj-dev or libgnatvsn-dev.  These packages are
now provided by gnat-4.2 instead.  Once that's done, a new upload of
gcc-defaults will make gnat-4.2 the new default compiler.

After that, I will update and re-upload all Ada packages over the
course of several months, as my free time permits.

I intend to work in roughly this order:

gnat-glade (upgrade to 2007 with SJLJ exceptions)
gnat-gdb (upgrade to 6.4+2007)
asis (upgrade to 2006 or 2007, whichever works best)
adacontrol (upgrade to 1.7)
libgtkada2 (upgrade to 2.10)
libtemplates-parser (upgrade to a recent CVS snapshot)
libxmlada2
gnat-gps
libaws
gnade
libflorist
libaunit
libopentoken
libtexttools

If you would like to help, please read this introduction:

English: http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html
French:  http://www.ada-france.org/article130.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.