From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net>
Subject: Re: Overriding the "lowest level" stream procedures
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:39:59 +0200
Date: 2009-10-11T17:40:02+02:00	[thread overview]

>>>>> "xorque" == xorque  <xorquewasp@googlemail.com> writes:

xorque> I think I probably need to define my own Stream type. Is this
xorque> the case?

You can plug your code at two different levels:

  - define your own stream type; you will manipulate byte arrays, but
    you will not have access to any type information;

  - define your own stream attributes: you will decide how typed values
    are transformed into/from byte arrays, but you cannot override this
    choice for predefined types as you have to define those attributes
    in the same declarative unit as the type definition itself.

You will likely want to use the second method, in which case you'll have
to refrain from using predefined types.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/