* Gnat on Debian 6.0.3 building 32-bit executables?
@ 2011-11-03 16:24 awdorrin
From: awdorrin @ 2011-11-03 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I realize this may not be the best group for asking this question as
it may be more of an OS question than an Ada question - but since its
related to building Ada source code - I'm hoping its ok I post this
here.

I just reinstalled my system using Debian 6.0.3 for amd64/x86_64.

I need to compile my code into 32-bit. I see that the gcc compiler
supports multilib - but I can't find the corresponding files for gnat.

Is there a way to install the i386 files for Gnat on the amd64/x86_64
version of Debian, or would I be better off reinstalling Debian for
i386?

Thanks!

* Re: Gnat on Debian 6.0.3 building 32-bit executables?
@ 2011-11-03 20:54 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-11-03 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

awdorrin writes:
> I realize this may not be the best group for asking this question as
> it may be more of an OS question than an Ada question - but since its
> related to building Ada source code - I'm hoping its ok I post this
> here.

In fact this is the best group, since the Debian Ada maintainers lurk
here :) (I am the maintainer of GNAT and several other Ada packages in
Debian).

> I just reinstalled my system using Debian 6.0.3 for amd64/x86_64.
>
> I need to compile my code into 32-bit. I see that the gcc compiler
> supports multilib - but I can't find the corresponding files for gnat.

Actually, support for multilib in Ada isn't _quite_ there yet in 6.0.3,
we're working on it for Debian 7 "Wheezy".

> Is there a way to install the i386 files for Gnat on the amd64/x86_64
> version of Debian, or would I be better off reinstalling Debian for
> i386?

You're better off installing Debian for i386 in a chroot; for some
details see http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/2010/02/msg00003.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The stakeholders innovate known unknowns, while the customers