* Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-02-25  9:36 Dan Sorensen
From: Dan Sorensen @ 2015-02-25  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there still any Ada 83 running? I haven't worked on Ada since the first
version came out. I stumbled upon this newsgroup and wondered how much of it is
left. For those of you still working with Ada what do you say the percentages
are of all the Ada versions in use today i.e. how much is 83, 95, etc. I probably
missed a few versions after that.

Regards,

Dan

* Re: Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-02-25 11:58 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2015-02-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Sorensen <dan.sorensen@aol.com> writes:

> Is there still any Ada 83 running?

Yes.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness,
 Impatience, and Hubris"                       -- Larry Wall

* Re: Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-02-27  8:29 ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2015-02-27  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-02-25 10:36, Dan Sorensen wrote:
> Is there still any Ada 83 running?

Depends on what you mean, but most likely yes.
Definitely yes if you include code once written for
an Ada83 compiler, but now recompiled with AdaXX.

Migrating Ada83 to something newer - when does it
stop to be Ada83? When it does not compile for Ada83
or when one looks at the code and see the main ideas - the
read thread - implemented in AdaXX.

I mean, If I have Ada83 code and withs package Ada.Directories (which
came in Ada05) in order to list files in a directory, is it Ada05 code then?

--
Björn

* Re: Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-02-27 12:29 ` joakim.strandberg
From: joakim.strandberg @ 2015-02-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 10:36:22 AM UTC+1, Dan Sorensen wrote:
> Is there still any Ada 83 running? I haven't worked on Ada since the first
> version came out. I stumbled upon this newsgroup and wondered how much of it is
> left. For those of you still working with Ada what do you say the percentages
> are of all the Ada versions in use today i.e. how much is 83, 95, etc. I probably
> missed a few versions after that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

The rosetta satellite contained 173 thousand lines of Ada83 according to the latest edition of the Ada User Journal.(http://sci.esa.int/rosetta/)

Best regards,
Joakim

* Re: Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-03-01 10:28   ` Dan Sorensen
From: Dan Sorensen @ 2015-03-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good point but I wasn't intending to ask any tricky question. I think Ada 83
code that hasn't been changed to use constructs or libraries from later
versions still qualifies even if they recompile it with a later version for
some reason and use it with newer code etc.

Dan

@ 2015-03-01 10:29   ` Dan Sorensen
From: Dan Sorensen @ 2015-03-01 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cool! That's not a big project as far as Ada goes but it's interesting to
know.

@ 2015-03-01 12:10     ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2015-03-01 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-03-01 11:28, Dan Sorensen wrote:
> Good point but I wasn't intending to ask any tricky question. I think Ada 83
> code that hasn't been changed to use constructs or libraries from later
> versions still qualifies even if they recompile it with a later version for
> some reason and use it with newer code etc.

Then these may qualify :
<http://www.consafelogistics.com/our-offer/warehousing/sattstore-wms>
<http://www.consafelogistics.com/our-offer/warehousing/sattmate-wcs>

The core of it is seldom changed and most of that is still Ada83.
However new features often uses libraries/constructs from later version
of Ada.

The system are most likely considered small here.
We are not near 173_000 lines of code.

--
Björn

* Re: Is Ada 83 still deployed anywhere?
@ 2015-03-02  8:55   ` joakim.strandberg
From: joakim.strandberg @ 2015-03-02  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 1:29:51 PM UTC+1, joakim.s...@cxense.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 10:36:22 AM UTC+1, Dan Sorensen wrote:
> > Is there still any Ada 83 running? I haven't worked on Ada since the first
> > version came out. I stumbled upon this newsgroup and wondered how much of it is
> > left. For those of you still working with Ada what do you say the percentages
> > are of all the Ada versions in use today i.e. how much is 83, 95, etc. I probably
> > missed a few versions after that.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dan
>
> The rosetta satellite contained 173 thousand lines of Ada83 according to the latest edition of the Ada User Journal.(http://sci.esa.int/rosetta/)
>
> Best regards,
> Joakim

To be more specific, it was written in the September 2014 edition of the Ada User Journal on page 163. I doubled checked and the article says 170kLoc not 173kLoc.