* Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-12 17:20 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2002-11-12 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-12 18:25 ` chris.danx
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2002-11-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:

> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

It's not usually buggy, just takes some customisation to get right. ;)
A good alternative ide is Jedit, it's Java and will run anywhere.  I did
a search a while back and this came up the best alternative to emacs (in
the end I ended up using emacs (or xemacs at uni), once I got it right
(or close enough :p )!)

--
for personal replies change spamoff to chris

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-12 19:07 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:
> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as

Freeware is not something you find for Linux a lot. Note Freeware is not
Free software.

> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

Huh? Emacs may be many things, but buggy? Not even a Vim user like me
can say that. Well of course the whole concept is buggy ;-) Perhaps you
have a very new version?

Of course Vim is the best :-) http://vim.sf.net

You can try:

   http://www.codeforge.com/   (Don't think it is free, but you can
                                check)
   http://glimmer.sourceforge.net/
   http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
   http://freshmeat.net/projects/tia/?topic_id=47%2C65%2C53

   http://anjuta.org/   (C++, but perhaps it can be customised for Ada)
   http://www.scintilla.org/

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 "Vim : simply the best text editor out there."

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-12 22:21 ` Francisco Santoyo
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Francisco Santoyo @ 2002-11-12 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:

> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

You can try anjuta or C-Forge.

They aren't exactly a IDE's for Ada but you can use it for edit Ada code.

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-13  7:59 ` Kees Serier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kees Serier @ 2002-11-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) wrote in message news:<3dd13b5a$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>...
> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

You might try JED, an editor with syntax highlighting for many
languages, multiwindow, C-like macro language called 'S-Lang', a very
good emacs mode, free software with source, runs on UNIX (character
mode and X) Windows and VMS.

http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/
(If you compile it yourself, you must first build S-Lang before
building JED).

The ada mode (from Lutz Donnerhacke) is not include with JED, but can
be found at:
ftp://ftp.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/ada/ada.sl
You must first include it in site.sl before you can use it.

Good luck,

Kees

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-13 10:59 ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2002-11-13 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
Victor> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

What you mean by 'too buggy'? I'm using Emacs every day since a dozen
years and i certainly wouldn't say it is buggy!

It's perhaps only a matter a configuration to suit your taste or a
bad installation... Some linux distro are curious with their prebuilt
packages.

Anyway, have a look at jgrasp (it requires a jvm to run) but, imho
it's surely not as stable as Emacs.
--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1340625364 secondes

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-13 14:32   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-11-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnat2kac.mq.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...

> Huh? Emacs may be many things, but buggy? Not even a Vim user like me

I have never done it with Linux, but I've found it quite buggy
whenever I compile it from sources myself. :-(  Prebuilt binaries tend
to be solid though; certianly they are way more stable than
VisualStudio.

> Of course Vim is the best :-) http://vim.sf.net

Yeah. You can't get a MS "Clippy" clone for Emacs, like you can for
Vim :-) http://vigor.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2002-11-13 15:43     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-13 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnat2kac.mq.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...
>
>> Of course Vim is the best :-) http://vim.sf.net
>
> Yeah. You can't get a MS "Clippy" clone for Emacs, like you can for
> Vim :-) http://vigor.sourceforge.net/

Vigor is satire and is not part of Vim. With Emacs though you have
something far worse which is actually part of the distribution : Emacs
Psychiatrist.  Of course after using Emacs you need to use him. ;-)

Yet again Vim is gets the user award for Favorite Text Editor
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6380&mode=thread&order=0

:-)
--
Preben Randhol ------------------------ http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
�There are three things you can do to a woman. You can love her, suffer

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-14 12:05 ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2002-11-14 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3dd13b5a$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>,
	porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) writes:
> What are freeware alternatives to Emacs (and Vi) as
> Ada IDE under Linux? For me Emacs happens to be too buggy.

Ugh... Now I found that KDevelop is suitable (however creating
new projects and files is a little complex, e.g. .adb/.ads files
are need to be created by an other program).

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-11 16:56 ` Nicolas Seriot
From: Nicolas Seriot @ 2003-01-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try jGRASP : <http://www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp/>.

--
Nicolas Seriot
www.seriot.ch

* Re: Alternatives to Emacs under Linux?
@ 2003-01-12 15:00   ` Stefan Scholl
From: Stefan Scholl @ 2003-01-12 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unix itself was meant to be a development environment. I prefer an
editor + the shell.

vim + bash + language tools (compiler, ...)