* Business directory of Ada related services providers in france
@ 2008-03-14 14:50 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2008-03-14 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Perhaps I'm a bit foolish... the fact is that I failed to find a
business directory of Ada related services providers in france.

I've had a look a some Ada dedicated site (like ada-france.org), but
failed to find it there.

Do you know some apart of AdaCore France and Aonix France ?

Do you know some listings for some other countries as well ?

Regards and nice wishes,

Yannick

* Re: Business directory of Ada related services providers in france
@ 2008-03-14 15:05 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-03-14 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yannick Duchêne Hibou57 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Perhaps I'm a bit foolish... the fact is that I failed to find a
> business directory of Ada related services providers in france.
>
> I've had a look a some Ada dedicated site (like ada-france.org), but
> failed to find it there.

http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programmation_Ada/FAQ/

I think Ada-France links to it.

What kind of services specifically are you looking for? I know of a
couple of consulting companies that offer Ada developers for a per-day
fee.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Business directory of Ada related services providers in france
@ 2008-03-14 18:38   ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2008-03-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ludovic,

Lot of thanks for the consideration you gave to my request

> I think Ada-France links to it.
I looked at this site, but I did not find. There some nice resource,
but I did not find this one specifically.

> What kind of services specifically are you looking for? I know of a
> couple of consulting companies that offer Ada developers for a per-day
> fee.
I looking for x different things :

I would like to find an Ada compiler full filling some requirements,
if possible, otherwise, it not the priority need : one license for
both Windows and Linux, low price (temporary requirement), with no
need to subscribe to a technical help/support.

I would like to understand how the world of Ada work : its culture,
its typical processes, how clients send request to providers and how
providers respond to requesters (through network ? through trade
union ? something else ?).

What areas are covered by Ada applications : every ones know about
high integrity and very high valuable software, but is it use in other
smaller application areas ? (trustability should ne nice any where).

One thing I'm very-very interrested in : I would like to get contact
to get some experiences in small Ada application developpement
(without requirement for any diploma, beceause I do not own any), I
would provide it for low fees (dont't mind, it is my affair),
providing that time to delivery will not be a major focus (mainly need
to experience what real things are and to work with it).

Here is :)

Will recieve answers with great-great pleasure :)

@ 2008-03-15 13:01     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-03-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) writes:
> I looking for x different things :
>
> I would like to find an Ada compiler full filling some requirements,
> if possible, otherwise, it not the priority need : one license for
> both Windows and Linux, low price (temporary requirement), with no
> need to subscribe to a technical help/support.

After explaining which requirements of yours are not met by GNAT, I
suggest you contact the Ada compiler vendors with an explanation of
your requirements.

> I would like to understand how the world of Ada work : its culture,
> its typical processes, how clients send request to providers and how
> providers respond to requesters (through network ? through trade
> union ? something else ?).

I think there are three kinds of Ada users: Big Business, Small
Business, and Enthusiast.

The Big Business user writes safety- or mission-critical
software. Think of nuclear power stations, high speed trains,
satellites and air traffic control.  The cost of the compiler and
support is only a small fraction of the cost of their research and
development.  They can pay hundreds of thousands of euros for a good
compiler with support.  Support is more important to them than
anything else and they accept the price of it.  Usually, they purchase
compilers after some sort of competition where they evaluate all
compiler vendors carefully ("appel d'offres").

The Small Business user writes commercial software.  The cost of the
compiler and support is a large fraction of their total costs.  To
them, cost is more important than anything else, so they are not
willing to pay a lot for licenses or support.  Usually, they contact
compiler vendors directly.

The Enthusiast does not want or need support because they can modify
the compiler and run-time library themselves :) The other Enthusiast
does not want to modify the compiler, but they accept that bugs in the
compiler are not important because what they do is not important.

Obviously, these three users have different attitudes and different
relationships with their compiler vendor.

Obviously, compiler vendors prefer Big Business customers who pay a
lot of money and sign multi-year support contracts.  However, RR
Software and Aonix seem to be also interested in the Small Business
customers.

> What areas are covered by Ada applications : every ones know about
> high integrity and very high valuable software, but is it use in other
> smaller application areas ? (trustability should ne nice any where).

Yes, Ada is used by Small Businesses and Enthusiasts as well as Big
Businesses.

> One thing I'm very-very interrested in : I would like to get contact
> to get some experiences in small Ada application developpement
> (without requirement for any diploma, beceause I do not own any), I
> would provide it for low fees (dont't mind, it is my affair),
> providing that time to delivery will not be a major focus (mainly
> need to experience what real things are and to work with it).

If I understand you well, you would like to become a consultant
writing software in Ada for paying customers.  Fair enough.  However,
be realistic: if anyone pays you, time to delivery will of course be a
major factor.

I think you should become a seasoned Enthusiast (i.e. demonstrate that
you can write and maintain software) before people will give you their
money.  Then decide who you want as your customers: Big Business or
Small Business?  (Enthusiasts will not pay for software development;
they'll do it themselves :)) Hint: Small Businesses buying
off-the-shelf or bespoke software usually don't care what language you
program in, so don't tell them.

--
Ludovic Brenta.