From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject: Re: Ada has garbage collection
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:05:14 +0200
Date: 2004-08-24T10:05:14+02:00	[thread overview]

* Wes Groleau:

> OK, we could argue semantics, but every language with
> parameters/data on the call stack has garbage collection
> for all those objects.

That's a sure way to lose an argument with a garbage collection
advocate.

> Of course, some problems/data structures almost demand
> pointers, but with sensible encapsulation and package
> designed, controlled types provide all the GC those things need.

Of course you can implement an ownership policy manually (or some
simple form of garbage collection like reference counting, especially
if your data structures aren't cyclic).  This is a tedious task, and
if you implement the wrong ownership policy, you often prevent code
reuse.  It's quite a bit of work to make something completely safe
against misuse.  Memory management errors are hard to debug.