From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net>
Subject: Re: Question about circular elaboration order error (GNAT).
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:20:42 +0200
Date: 2008-04-13T23:25:02+02:00	[thread overview]

Robert> Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net> writes:
>> No. pragma Elaborate_All is transitive, and forces the elaboration
>> of Parent body (since Parent.Child has an implicit dependency on
>> Parent)

Robert> Yes, it has a dependence.  But why do you call it "implicit"?

Because it is not spelt explicitely using a with clause or an
Elaborate/Elaborate_All pragma. And if it's not explicit, it must be
implicit.

One could say that when you write "package Parent.Child", you
explicitely spell "Parent" so this is an explicit dependency
declaration. However, for me it is a declaration of the "Parent.Child"
package, which implicitely creates a semantic dependency on Parent.

Now, I think we are both nitpicking here, as I don't think the RM says
anything about "explicit" vs. "implicit" dependencies, it only
consider "static dependences" and "elaboration dependences".

Btw, I never noticed the use of "dependence" vs. "dependency"
before. Is there a difference in English?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/