From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: ADA 95 - can anyone recommend any training courses
Date: 2000/02/07
Date: 2000-02-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <389C76A7.483A2B43@quadruscorp.com>,
  "Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com> wrote:

> We see these sorts of posts here all too often. "I'm a student and
> they taught me Ada and they should have taught me
> XYZ.....blah...blah...blah..." What I want to know is why someone who

With that attitude towards learning new things, it not tough to see why
such a person would get laid off. I was taught Fortran, PDP-11 Assembly,
Pascal, C, Lisp, and APL when I was an undergraduate. I can't say I have
ever gotten a job officially due to my knowledge in any of these. But am
I upset that I learned them? Heavens no!

A language isn't just a set of keywords; it a way of looking at the
world. The important thing was that I was exposed to the concepts
contained in multiple programming languages, and that I know how to
learn new ones if need be. The goal is to teach you how to learn for
yourself, not to teach you how to use language X which you will be able
to use unwaveringly for the entire duration of your 40-year carreer.

Realisticly, is anyone going to fire someone because they know Ada? I
don't think so. Is someone going to get laid off for not knowing the
language that all the company's work is being done in? That's quite
possible. Is it your university's fault that you didn't bother to learn
that language? I don't think so.

Finally I'd like to mention that I've noticed over the 11 years of my
career that for a competent professional being laid off is quite often a
blessing in (a rather effective) disguise.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.