* Trolltech's QT library and Ada
@ 2005-03-05 15:21 fmdf
From: fmdf @ 2005-03-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have been using QT library since a couple of years while coding in
C++. Now that I am studying and preferring Ada to C++, I would also
like to add some graphical content to my program exercises.

Is there any way to use QT in an Ada program? Do you have any links
(manuals, bindings, etc.)?

I know that I can access Gtk+ with GtkAda, but I haven't enough time to
learn a new library as now. Howerver, do I need to know Gtk+ before to
take on GtkAda manuals or it is not a pre-requisite?

Thanks to anyone who will reply.

Ciao,

fabio de francesco

PS.: As far as Ada bindings to other language libraries concerns, can
you please provide any link to a good and updated list of them?

* Re: Trolltech's QT library and Ada
@ 2005-03-05 15:45 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-03-05 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

 writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using QT library since a couple of years while coding in
> C++. Now that I am studying and preferring Ada to C++, I would also
> like to add some graphical content to my program exercises.
>
> Is there any way to use QT in an Ada program? Do you have any links
> (manuals, bindings, etc.)?

I am not aware of a binding to Qt.  Generally, binding to C++ from
another language is difficult, because this requires knowledge of the
compiler's name mangling scheme.  Also, some C++ features do not map
well to other languages (templates in Pascal; multiple inheritance in
Ada; etc.).  By contrast, GTK+ was written in C for the specific
purpose of making bindings easy to write.  The GTK+ developpers
recommend against using C for applications; they recommend using one
of the many language bindings instead.

> I know that I can access Gtk+ with GtkAda, but I haven't enough time to
> learn a new library as now. Howerver, do I need to know Gtk+ before to
> take on GtkAda manuals or it is not a pre-requisite?

No, you can learn just GtkAda.  Occasionally you'll need to look at
the GTK+ reference manual.

http://www.adaworld.com

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Trolltech's QT library and Ada
@ 2005-03-10 18:42 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-03-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2005-03-05, fmdf@tiscali.it <fmdf@tiscali.it> wrote:
> I know that I can access Gtk+ with GtkAda, but I haven't enough time to
> learn a new library as now. Howerver, do I need to know Gtk+ before to
> take on GtkAda manuals or it is not a pre-requisite?

No it isn't. You can use the glade GUI builder to make your applications
(there are some limitations, but I hope we can n...)

Preben

* Re: Trolltech's QT library and Ada
@ 2005-03-10 18:43   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-03-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2005-03-10, Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
> On 2005-03-05, fmdf@tiscali.it <fmdf@tiscali.it> wrote:
>> I know that I can access Gtk+ with GtkAda, but I haven't enough time to
>> learn a new library as now. Howerver, do I need to know Gtk+ before to
>> take on GtkAda manuals or it is not a pre-requisite?
>
> No it isn't. You can use the glade GUI builder to make your applications
> (there are some limitations, but I hope we can n...)

opps something stranged happend to my news agent.

I wanted to say: ..., but I hope we can remove them soon now...

Preben