From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org>
Subject: Re: Trolltech's QT library and Ada
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:45:50 +0100
Date: 2005-03-05T16:45:24+01:00	[thread overview]

 writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using QT library since a couple of years while coding in
> C++. Now that I am studying and preferring Ada to C++, I would also
> like to add some graphical content to my program exercises.
>
> Is there any way to use QT in an Ada program? Do you have any links
> (manuals, bindings, etc.)?

I am not aware of a binding to Qt.  Generally, binding to C++ from
another language is difficult, because this requires knowledge of the
compiler's name mangling scheme.  Also, some C++ features do not map
well to other languages (templates in Pascal; multiple inheritance in
Ada; etc.).  By contrast, GTK+ was written in C for the specific
purpose of making bindings easy to write.  The GTK+ developpers
recommend against using C for applications; they recommend using one
of the many language bindings instead.

> I know that I can access Gtk+ with GtkAda, but I haven't enough time to
> learn a new library as now. Howerver, do I need to know Gtk+ before to
> take on GtkAda manuals or it is not a pre-requisite?

No, you can learn just GtkAda.  Occasionally you'll need to look at
the GTK+ reference manual.

http://www.adaworld.com

--
Ludovic Brenta.