* Re : Importing and using a C++ class in Ada
       [not found] <20050506100048.5AFE14C4121@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2005-05-06 10:44 ` Christopher Gosset
From: Christopher Gosset @ 2005-05-06 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Rien wrote
>>try to import a bunch of other languages from C++, and it becomes a
>>major reason for NOT converting to C++...

I see the point! But since 95% of all stuff is in C++ then there
wouldn't be a need for it either!

>>are you searching the right reference manual ? those pragmas seems
GNAT
>>specific, and are described in the GNAT RM (for 3.15p, in 10.2:
>>Interfacing to C++, and 1: Implementation defined pragmas).

They are all Gnat specific. And I found them in the GNAT RM but there
was no examples of their use.

Rob W. Wrote :
>> There's an example off the pragmas working in The Big Online Book of
Linux Ada.

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for!!

/CG

* Re: Re :Importing and using a C++ class in Ada
       [not found] <mailman.110.1115367929.24457.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>
@ 2005-05-06 11:16 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-05-06 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Gosset writes:
> But if every man needs to make his own hack, even for such trivial
> things like using a member function then the world would be a mess.
> 95%(?) of all useful libraries and SDK's out there is made in C++
> and if there are no easy way to use this functionality, then this
> will make us ada users a group of secterians within the sofware
> world. And it would also make every simple project that requires a
> binding like this "career safe" since ever man and woman will have
> his own way of doing this. And that is not good! So I still have
> some hopes regarding the CPP specific pragmas.

I disagree with your statement that 95% of all useful libraries are in
C++.  More libraries are written in C than in C++.  For example, GNOME
is written in C for the specific purpose of binding easily to other
languages (see http://developer.gnome.org/arch/lang).

Now, if you find a good C++ library which you want to call from Ada,
consider releasing your binding as free software, so that others can
benefit from it.  There already exist many bindings which you can use
without duplicating work.  See http://www.adaworld.com for a list of
free bindings.

--
Ludovic Brenta.