From: Paul Rubin <no.email@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Why does Ada compile slower than Python?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 23:38:51 -0700
Date: 2017-10-17T23:38:51-07:00	[thread overview]

olivermkellogg@gmail.com writes:
> if you provide 100 files on a single gcc command line then gcc loads
> and compiles each file separately as though you were providing 100
> commands with one file per command.

Usually you'd use make -j which will do compilation in parallel if you
have a multicore machine.  I use that with C and C++ programs all the
time and it's a big help.  There are even some distributed make programs
that will spin your compilation out across a whole cluster, but I do
most of my stuff on a regular 4-core i7 box.  I don't know the situation
with compiling Ada in parallel.

As for the compilation speed of Gnat vs Python, you have to remember
that the Python "compiler" (it makes bytecode for a VM) is very simple,
very little optimization, no typechecking, etc.  But Gnat should compile
faster with optimization turned off than with it on, for your debugging
builds.