From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Error when running gcc from GPS
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:12:33 +0200
Date: 2010-04-25T19:12:33+02:00	[thread overview]

resander <kresander@gmail.com> writes:
> I am on Ubuntu 8.10 and have not used any other Linux.
>
> I agree this is an installation problem, but I still don't know how to
> fix it.
>
> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 from Libre. I unpacked using the GUI
> decompress program available from the Ubuntu menu and it ended up in
> directory /home/ken/Desktop/gnat-2009-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin. I
> used the doinstall script in this directory and gave the install base
> direcory as /usr/gnat as suggested. Installation ran to completion
> without errors and I added /usr/gnat/bin to the $PATH as the doinstall
> script prompted me to do.
>
> Result: I could enter the new GPS program, but it failed compiling Ada
> and C with errors shown in my previous post.
>
> I guess this has something to do with grpbuild. There is a gprbuild in
> the old GNAT GPL 2008 install directory, but there are no gpr-related
> files in the new install directory at /usr/gnat.

It seems you did not download all of GNAT GPL 2009, then.  You should
have gprbuild as part of it.

> GNAT GPL 2008 is available via the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager

No, it is not.

What you see in Synaptic are the Debian packages that I made; they are
not GNAT GPL but rather GNAT from the FSF.

> (a GUI front end for the commandline package manager) I used
> Synaptic. No luck, still the same. I tried the commandline too by sudo
> aptitude install gnat gnat-gps gprbuild and got message 'Couldn't find
> any package whose name or description matched "gprbuild', so gprbuild
> is not available via the repository used by ubuntu.

gprbuild is indeed not present in Ubuntu 8.10; it appeared in Debian
unstable in January 2010 and migrated to Debian testing on 2010-04-14.
I do not know what the Ubuntu maintainers plan but chances are that
gprbuild will be present in the next release of Ubuntu (presumably 10.04
or 10.10).

So what you end up with is a partial install of GNAT GPL 2009 in
/usr/gnat, lacking gprbuild, and an installation of a few Debian
packages in /usr/bin; you should double-check your $PATH to make sure
which version of the IDE (GPS) and compiler (gcc) you use.

> How do I install GNAT GPL 2009 on Ubuntu?

I think you only need to add gprbuild to your machine, now.  It is
available from libre.adacore.com and from Debian testing, but not from
Ubuntu 8.10.

--
Ludovic Brenta.