From: Matthew Woodcraft <mattheww@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Newbie wanna Ada
Date: 26 Oct 2001 00:47:48 +0100
Date: 2001-10-26T00:47:48+01:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak <maciej@maciejsobczak.com> writes:

> 3. What is the level of portability of the source code? C++ suffers
> from the fact that many vendors dare to dump crap on the market with
> the C++ logo on the boxes. The result is that we have many different
> 'dialects' of this (standardised) language. What about Ada? If I write
> something for GNAT, can I assume that some imaginary Windows compiler
> will eat it?

Nothing imaginary about Windows Ada compilers. If you write something
with Gnat on Un*x, it will run on Gnat for Windows unless you got into
OS-specific stuff.

Unlike C++ compilers, an Ada compiler which claims to implement the
standardised language will do so without bits missing. You can check
in the Gnat reference manual to make sure you're not using
Gnat-specific extensions.

-M-