From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: trying to compile gnat
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:53:55 +0200
Date: 2006-05-27T16:53:55+02:00	[thread overview]

Schüle Daniel <uval@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Hello
>
> I am failing to compile gnat
> the compilation goes fine but no gnatmake is generated
> I was trying different gcc releases
>
> gcc-3.2.tar.bz2
> gcc-3.3.4.tar.bz2
> gcc-3.4.0.tar.bz2
> gcc-4.1.1.tar.bz2
>
> tar xjf gcc-4.1.1.tar.bz2
> cd gcc-4.1.1
> ./configure --prefix=/myLocation --enable-languages=c,c++,ada

Have you read the documentation?  It clearly says you must not build
in the directory containing the sources.  You must do:

$ mkdir gcc-4.1.1.o; cd gcc-4.1.1.o
$ ../gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=/myLocation --enable-languages=c,c++,ada
$ make bootstrap

> also I tried to compile from parts, eg
>
> gcc-4.1.1
> gcc-ada-4.1.1.tar.bz2
> gcc-core-4.1.1.tar.bz2
> gcc-g++-4.1.1.tar.bz2
> gcc-testsuite-4.1.1.tar.bz2
>
> cd gcc-4.1.1
> ./configure --prefix=/myLocation --enable-languages=c,c++,ada
>
> I am somewhat confused, gcc and g++ are genereated and
> I can compile with them, so what's wrong with ada?
>
> Regards, Daniel

Do you have a previous version of GNAT installed?  Since GNAT is
written in Ada, you need an Ada compiler to bootstrap it.

What "make" command do you use, after the configure?  It should be
"make bootstrap" or "make bootstrap-lean".

The GNAT tools (gnatmake etc) should then normally appear in the gcc
subdirectory.

More details here: http://ada.krischik.com/

HTH

--