From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org>
Subject: Re: Ada and OS/2
Date: 2000/05/13
Date: 2000-05-13T09:08:23+00:00	[thread overview]

Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> writes:

> John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> > Cygwin and GNAT for WinDoze on the otherhand need
> > to be "kept at arms length" from each other.
>
> What exactly do you mean by that?
>
> I use gnat and cygwin together - typically invoking
> gnatmake from cygwin make or cygwin bash.
> But I never use the gcc included with cygwin.

Aha!  Some releases ago, both cygwin gcc and GNAT gcc used the same
registry entries to locate the gcc directories (where the actual C and
ada frontends reside).  That's the reason why you could only use only
one gcc installation (unless you had some small script which changed
the registry before you invoked one version or the other).  I don't
know if the situation has changed recently.