* Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-18  7:56 Xlex(0x835)
From: Xlex(0x835) @ 2005-04-18  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good day,

does anybody knows/care/do about Berkeley DB bindings to the Ada
language? There is gdbm, but not bdb bindings, while, as far as I
udnerstand Ada is a language for the embedding (in particular), just as
bdb... So why there is no such bindings?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Re: Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-18  8:20 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2005-04-18  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can suggest you to have a look at Pascal's Home page for gdbm binding..

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

the gdbm binding can easily be ported to *nix plaforms

Regards,
Patrice

@ 2005-04-18  8:42   ` Xlex(0x835)
From: Xlex(0x835) @ 2005-04-18  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yep, I know about that, thank you.
But Berkeley DB is much more today than just another one implementation
of the key/value db - it support a lot of usefull things (please, look
there for more details: http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/toc.html).

So, yes, gdbm bindings is usefull thing, but not exactly what I'm
talking about.

* Re: Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-18  9:27 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2005-04-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> does anybody knows/care/do about Berkeley DB bindings to the Ada
> language?

I've written one (for version 4.3).  It's still a bit incomplete: it
doesn't support sequences, user-defined comparison functions, queues,
and a buch of other stuff.  And it's undocumented, that's why I doubt
it's ready for publication at this stage. 8-/

* Re: Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-18  9:30   ` Xlex(0x835)
From: Xlex(0x835) @ 2005-04-18  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

For now I investigate in different databases, so I can't promise I will
be usefull for you, but, probably, if put all that on sourceforge or
smth. like that and put link on adapower, there can be more developers,
which will helps you to finish that process. What do you think about
that?

* Re: Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-18 19:16   ` Xlex(0x835)
From: Xlex(0x835) @ 2005-04-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way, what about contact with Sleepycat developers and try to
push that binding to the main tree? That's the way of how PHP bindings
lives there - it is code supported on the main stream by one developer.

* Re: Berkeley DB Ada bindings
@ 2005-04-24  8:15     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2005-04-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> By the way, what about contact with Sleepycat developers and try to
> push that binding to the main tree? That's the way of how PHP bindings
> lives there - it is code supported on the main stream by one developer.

Unlikely.  GNAT installations vary considerably (including their
ABIs), so it's a tremendous task to offer some kind of formal support.