From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk>
Subject: Replacement for Ian Sommerville's "Software Engineering"
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:00:04 +0200
Date: 2006-08-15T16:00:04+02:00	[thread overview]

I was considering to use Ian Sommerville's "Software Engineering" book
for one of my courses, when I unfortunately found out that two of its
important advantages have been removed in the most recent editions;
Ada has been replaced by Java, and Z has been replaced by UML.

That's _not_ fun.  So which text-books can you suggest as a
replacement?

The goals of the course is to introduce the students to problem
analysis, specification and design.  The book should preferably cover
both centralised and distributed systems.

I prefer to use a book which is has a wider aim than just object
oriented design and programming.  Strong specifications and
standardised languages (such as Ada and Z) are favoured to weak typing
and unstandardised languages.

I liked the 5th edition of "Software Engineering", but it is
apparently not available anymore.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"simply because no one had discovered a cure for the universe as a
 whole - or rather the only one that did exist had been abolished"