* Space seen as Ctrl+space in AdaCore GPS GPL edition 2011
@ 2012-01-28 13:11 David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2012-01-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have installed AdaCore's GNAT GPL edition 2011 on my Linux Ubuntu
11.04, x86 64 bits platform.

When using GPS (GPS 5.0.1 (20110113) hosted on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) on
one of my project, each time I enter "space" (space bar key) it is seen
as "ctrl+space" by GPS (no space character is inserted, a contextual
menu appears with proposals for different possible completions).

"Ctrl+space" is still correctly seen.

I have tried several things without any success so far:
 * Remove ~/.gps/ directory;

 * Add a keyboard short cut (Edit -> Key Shortcuts) for "space"
   (e.g. Build All): the short cut is correctly seen as "space" in the
   shortcuts window and it executes the correct command when "space" is
   pressed;

 * Look into Ubuntu's various preferences to see if a shortcut is
   assigned to "space", nothing so far;

 * When I remove "ctrl+space" as shortcut to "/Edit/Smart Completion"
   then the regular space key works (i.e. inserts space characters).
   "ctrl+space" does nothing (as expected);

 * I previously used GNAT 4.4 Ubuntu package without any issue. This
   package is now removed and I checked I executed the correct "gps"
   binary from the installed GNAT GPL 2011.

I am a bit stuck now and this issue puzzles me. Any idea of things to
check/configure to have both regular "space" and Smart Completion
"ctrl+space"?

Best regards,
david
--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A      --     dmentre@linux-france.org
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

* Re: Space seen as Ctrl+space in AdaCore GPS GPL edition 2011
@ 2012-01-28 20:11 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-01-28 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed AdaCore's GNAT GPL edition 2011 on my Linux Ubuntu
> 11.04, x86 64 bits platform.
>
> When using GPS (GPS 5.0.1 (20110113) hosted on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) on
> one of my project, each time I enter "space" (space bar key) it is seen
> as "ctrl+space" by GPS (no space character is inserted, a contextual
> menu appears with proposals for different possible completions).

This seems like:

https://groups.google.com/group/fr.comp.lang.ada/msg/e1ae4d0762c0dd7f?pli=1

and in English:

http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gps-users/2009-September/000600.html

Please tell us whether the above solves your problem.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Space seen as Ctrl+space in AdaCore GPS GPL edition 2011
@ 2012-01-29 17:32   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2012-01-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ludovic,

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org> writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have installed AdaCore's GNAT GPL edition 2011 on my Linux Ubuntu
>> 11.04, x86 64 bits platform.
>>
>> When using GPS (GPS 5.0.1 (20110113) hosted on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) on
>> one of my project, each time I enter "space" (space bar key) it is seen
>> as "ctrl+space" by GPS (no space character is inserted, a contextual
>> menu appears with proposals for different possible completions).
>
> This seems like:
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/fr.comp.lang.ada/msg/e1ae4d0762c0dd7f?pli=1
>
> and in English:
>
> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gps-users/2009-September/000600.html
>
> Please tell us whether the above solves your problem.

Yes, it solves my issue. Thanks!

Is there any explanation somewhere *why* I should disable this
non-breakable space feature?

Thanks a lot,
david
--

@ 2012-01-29 23:16     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-01-29 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

David MENTRE writes:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>> David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org> writes:
>>> I have installed AdaCore's GNAT GPL edition 2011 on my Linux Ubuntu
>>> 11.04, x86 64 bits platform.
>>>
>>> When using GPS (GPS 5.0.1 (20110113) hosted on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) on
>>> one of my project, each time I enter "space" (space bar key) it is seen
>>> as "ctrl+space" by GPS (no space character is inserted, a contextual
>>> menu appears with proposals for different possible completions).
>>
>> This seems like:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/group/fr.comp.lang.ada/msg/e1ae4d0762c0dd7f?pli=1
>>
>> and in English:
>>
>> http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gps-users/2009-September/000600.html
>>
>> Please tell us whether the above solves your problem.
>
> Yes, it solves my issue. Thanks!

You're welcome.

> Is there any explanation somewhere *why* I should disable this
> non-breakable space feature?

I cannot say as I use neither Ubuntu nor GNOME.  I hope someone else can
shed light on this.

--
Ludovic Brenta.