* ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-03 16:57 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-04-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone

I am still having trouble getting my project started. Sorry for cluttering the list with more dumb questions.

I have abandoned my hopes of creating a gstreamer binding and I am trying to focus on smaller simpler solutions. I basically need to draw pictures to a screen and have keys create sounds as a child types, low latency is import to me.

I was thinking about using the ada-gtk binding and writing a small binding to a sound library. I have been able to to create some small bindings that compiled but I have hit several dead ends as the underlying Linux sound system seem like a murky world. For instances I was able to create a thin binding for both pulseaudio and portaudio but then I could not figure out how to write a program as there is very little documentation even in C.

So my question is, is there anyone building open source games in ada that use sound? could someone refer me to some sample code?

If anyone has any general feedback on creating sounds with ada that would be great too. I have read the chapter in big book of ada linux programming

Thanks for reading-Patrick

* Re: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-03 18:09 ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2012-04-03 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

About sounds/music: did you consider OpenAL [1] ?
There is or was a binding (OpenALAda).

For the graphics you might consider OpenGL. There are Ada-aware
bindings and a 3D framework in the GLOBE_3D project [2].
IIRC OpenGL is supported by GTK.

Cheers
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address
__
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL
[2] http://globe3d.sf.net

* Re: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-03 18:21   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-04-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:09:48 PM UTC-5, Gautier write-only wrote:
> About sounds/music: did you consider OpenAL [1] ?
> There is or was a binding (OpenALAda).
>
> For the graphics you might consider OpenGL. There are Ada-aware
> bindings and a 3D framework in the GLOBE_3D project [2].
> IIRC OpenGL is supported by GTK.
>
> Cheers
> _________________________
> Gautier's Ada programming
> http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
> NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address
> __
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL
> [2] http://globe3d.sf.net

Dang-it Gautier, you beat me to the punch! (I was going to suggest OpenGL/AL.)
;)

* Re: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-03 18:36     ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-04-03 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gautier, Hi Shark8

This helps a lot thanks. I have built it now. It will take some time to understand as there is no documentation but I am still MUCH further ahead.

Thanks again -Patrick

* Re: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-03 20:46 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2012-04-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/03/2012 09:57 AM, Patrick wrote:

> If anyone has any general feedback on creating sounds with ada that would be
> great too. I have read the chapter in big book of ada linux programming

In simple cases under Linux, spawning a process that executes ogg123 will play
an Ogg Vorbis file. Latency could be an issue with this approach.

--
Jeff Carter
"I fart in your general direction."

* Re: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
@ 2012-04-07  1:44 ` Qunying
From: Qunying @ 2012-04-07  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I did not use it, but I heard of http://sourceforge.net/projects/adasdl/.
As SDL is for game programming, maybe it is more suited to your task.

@ 2012-04-07 11:12   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-04-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Qunying writes:
> I did not use it, but I heard of
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/adasdl/. As SDL is for game
> programming, maybe it is more suited to your task.

See a largish example of how to use AdaSDL here:

http://www.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.ludovic-brenta.defendguin

I wrote that to teach myself Ada and SDL a few years ago :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.