* C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-23 12:24 Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2012-06-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting article with some thoughtful observations:

http://electronicdesign.com/article/embedded/c11-ada-2012-renaissance-native-languages-74107

Do you also have an impression that the market got saturated with "managed" languages and it might be a good moment to renew the interest in native solutions?

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-23 12:54 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-06-23 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/23/2012 7:24 AM, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> Interesting article with some thoughtful observations:
>
> http://electronicdesign.com/article/embedded/c11-ada-2012-renaissance-native-languages-74107
>
> Do you also have an impression that the market got saturated with "managed" languages
>and it might be a good moment to renew the interest in native solutions?

I've seen this talk for sometime now. I think there is some truth
to it. I think it is reflection of so much bloated software out there.
It seems the faster computers get, the slower software gets.

I tried many of the new Javascripts/HTML5 demos, and they seem to
run slower than the original Java applets in 1996.

Twitter has stopped using Javascript in the browser, moved things
back to the server-side
http://engineering.twitter.com/2012/05/improving-performance-on-twittercom.html

"To improve the twitter.com experience for everyone, we've
been working to take back control of our front-end performance
by moving the rendering to the server."

Oracle is getting ready now to make it is possible to build
JavaFX and Java apps as 'native' (should be a major move
for Java if this works out well)

https://blogs.oracle.com/talkingjavadeployment/entry/native_packaging_for_javafx

"JavaFX 2.2 adds new packaging option for JavaFX applications,
allowing you to package your application as a "native bundle"."

google has native client: (not sure though if this is
will be a success)

"Native Client is an open-source technology that
allows you to build web applications that seamlessly
execute native compiled code inside the browser"

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

and more.

Native compiled languages will always be more lean and faster
than 'managed' languages. I'd rather download an
application and run it on my PC than run it inside the browser.

I think the Java move above with native bundling is
interesting. Keep an eye on it. One problem with Java has
always been deployment and delivery of Java application
to the end user. too messy. This new technology seems to be
direct way to finally solve this problem.

--Nasser

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-23 21:36   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2012-06-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Nasser M. Abbasi:

> Oracle is getting ready now to make it is possible to build
> JavaFX and Java apps as 'native' (should be a major move
> for Java if this works out well)

There is nothing "native" about it, it's just bundling yet another
copy of the JRE.

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-23 22:25 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2012-06-23 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 23 juin 2012 14:24:52 UTC+2, Maciej Sobczak a écrit :

> Do you also have an impression that the market got saturated with "managed" languages and it might be a good moment to renew the interest in native solutions?

It is also my perception. The "managed code" languages where came out when Moore's law seemed to last for ever and ironically was about to stop. Now, ten years later, people begin to realize that hardware performance is stagnating, so it is preferable to have native code running n times faster than managed code. Especially on new popular devices like tablets or smartphones, you don't want your programs running with the handbrake...
So it is an opportunity for highly portable, multi-platform solutions, where some of the safety is even available without run-time checks. Now the list of those solutions is..... :-) ?
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://sf.net/users/gdemont

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-24  1:10   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2012-06-24  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/23/2012 03:25 PM, gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:

> So it is an opportunity for highly portable, multi-platform solutions, where
> some of the safety is even available without run-time checks. Now the list of
> those solutions is..... :-) ?

Don't forget hihg-level, safe, concurrency features in the language to to be
able to quickly and easily take advantage of the common multi-core processors.
That helps narrow it down even further.

--
Jeff Carter
"Ah, go away or I'll kill ya."

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-24  3:32     ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2012-06-24  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/23/2012 4:36 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Nasser M. Abbasi:
>
>> Oracle is getting ready now to make it is possible to build
>> JavaFX and Java apps as 'native' (should be a major move
>> for Java if this works out well)
>

> There is nothing "native" about it, it's just bundling yet another
> copy of the JRE.

I know that. I did read many articles about it.

 From user-point-of-view, no JRE is needed pre-installed
at user platform. Just click and run. all is packeged into
one 'file'. Process name is the app, not Java.exe, and many
more.

Hence it works, feels, behaves if one just downloaded
a .exe (i.e.as native app would). User would care-less
that is inside.

Even better, no dependency on shared libraries outside of
the .exe that might needs setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH since
all is bundled).

What is that say: if it sounds like a duck, runs like duck, etc...
... then it must be a duck?

--Nasser

* Re: C++11 and Ada 2012 - renaissance of native languages?
@ 2012-06-24 13:53     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2012-06-24 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jeffrey Carter:

> On 06/23/2012 03:25 PM, gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> So it is an opportunity for highly portable, multi-platform
>> solutions, where some of the safety is even available without
>> run-time checks. Now the list of those solutions is..... :-) ?
>
> Don't forget hihg-level, safe, concurrency features in the language to
> to be able to quickly and easily take advantage of the common
> multi-core processors. That helps narrow it down even further.

And Ada 2012 still lacks basic building blocks for lock-free and
wait-free algorithms, so the field is pretty narrow indeed. 8-)