From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat Chat, Random Numbers in GNAT
Date: 2000/02/05
Date: 2000-02-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <SLSi4.702$dw3.34085@news.wenet.net>,
  xanthian@well.com (Kent Paul Dolan) wrote:

>so my first question is, would it be
> appropriate, and would there be any interest in or support for
> moving Gnat Chat to a new leaf of comp.lang.ada?

Well this is not exactly a democratic issue. GNAT Chat is a
mailing list that ACT controls and moderates in an attempt
to maintain a high level of GNAT relevance. We don't see a
non-moderated leaf of CLA as an appropriate substitute. Many
serious GNAT users are on chat who would not come near any
newsgroup at this stage (I myself have completely stopped
reading CLA except for subject topics that include the
word GNAT, just too low a signal to noise ratio to be worth
while for me).

There is of course absolutely nothing at all to stop someone
forming a GNAT sub leaf (e.g. comp.lang.ada.gnat). All you need
is a vote to form the group (if you use alt....gnat, then you
do not even need that).

Everyone is free to be on any mailing list or newsgroup that
they please of course. The reason I often encourage people to
send GNAT specific questions to chat is simply that there are
more people there who know GNAT well. For example, this thread
on random number generators is missing very important
information, and I suspect that a thread on GNAT chat might
have been more informative!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/