* GNAT, Linux
@ 1999-11-27  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1999-11-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Comp. Lang. Ada, Team-Ada

From: Bob Leif
To: Those interested in an Ada version of Linux (POSIX)

It might be of interest to you that RedHat, the corporation I described at
the SIGAda 99 Workshop on Commercializing Ada, has of 27 November 1999 a
valuation of $14,240,000,000 @ $215.5 per share(New York Times, 27 Nov.
1999). I believe that this should provide a very good argument on the
commercial possibilities of developing a superior product based on Ada and
XML-HTML. I would hope that the developers would be adequately compensated
for their efforts. Besides the potential financial rewards of this project,
there is the delightful result of convincingly demonstrating the utility of
the combination of Ada and software engineering.

* Re: GNAT, Linux
@ 1999-11-28  0:00 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-11-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <rleif@rleif.com> writes:

> It might be of interest to you that RedHat, the corporation I described at
> the SIGAda 99 Workshop on Commercializing Ada, has of 27 November 1999 a
> valuation of $14,240,000,000 @ $215.5 per share(New York Times, 27 Nov.
> 1999). I believe that this should provide a very good argument on the
> commercial possibilities of developing a superior product based on Ada and
> XML-HTML.

Well, the numbers for Sun are much higher and we've decided to use Java
instead.  We're still investigating if we can include some proprietary
Microsoft-specific extensions, though.

* Re: GNAT, Linux
@ 1999-12-01  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87d7suq4fm.fsf@deneb.cygnus.argh.org>,
  " "@deneb.cygnus.argh.org (Florian Weimer) wrote:
> Well, the numbers for Sun are much higher and we've decided to
use Java
> instead.  We're still investigating if we can include some
proprietary
> Microsoft-specific extensions, though.

What is the market capitalization of Sun, it would ineed make
an interesting comparison ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT, Linux
@ 1999-12-01  0:00     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-12-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes [quoting adjusted]:

> In article <87d7suq4fm.fsf@deneb.cygnus.argh.org>,
>   " "@deneb.cygnus.argh.org (Florian Weimer) wrote:
> > Well, the numbers for Sun are much higher and we've decided to use Java
> > instead.  We're still investigating if we can include some proprietary
> > Microsoft-specific extensions, though.
>
> What is the market capitalization of Sun, it would ineed make
> an interesting comparison ...

103,400 million dollars for Sun vs. 14,645 for Red Hat, according to
the LWN Stock Page (http://www.lwn.net/stocks/).