From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Only one Ada vendor?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:58:25 +0200
Date: 2007-10-25T11:58:25+02:00	[thread overview]

llothar <llothar@web.de> writes:
>> without buying licenses.   If Apex and ClearCase were marketed with an
>> open-source, support focused business model (instead of a license fee
>> focused business model) I'm convinced they would have a lot more
>> success in the market.
>
> I don't believe. Way to many people think that all can be payed by
> support but this is simply not the truth. Especially for a
> development environment i can't really see any successfull business
> model - and i don't see to much of it (Elicpse is a total different
> beast) all others pay for an IDE/compiler.

The last time I paid for an IDE and compiler was, I think, in 1993.
Since then I've only ever used Free Software.  I pay for it by
donating time to enhance said Free Software.

My current employer purchased licenses for Rational Apex and also paid
for support.  After a few years, they became dissatisfied with the
quality of the support and did not renew the maintenance contract.
Eventually they switched to GNAT Pro and now they only pay for
support.  The main driving factor for this switch were (1) support and
(2) combined cost of licenses and support.

--
Ludovic Brenta.