From: Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
Subject: Re: Searching for an object
Date: 2000/08/21
Date: 2000-08-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> In article <87og2q9yyp.fsf@moon.mteege.de>,
>   Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de> wrote:
> > I've defined the following type:
> >
> > type customer is record
> >    aname  : String( 1..25);
> >    bname  : String( 1..25);
> > end record;
>
> This looks shaky right from the start. How do you know how many
> characters in these fields are valid? Ada string handling doesn't rely

Yes it is really bad code but is only for my learning
purposes. It is a quick hack and I'm very impatient. ;-)

[...]

> Is object supposed to be some global variable? Otherwise, this looks
> like you are familiar with "object" notation in some other "OO"
> languages, and are looking for the same notation in Ada. Eg: you want
> to call Object.Find (...) rather than Find(Object, ...) Is that your
> question?

Yes, I want to call Object.Find(in_field, for_this_string)
but the only way to implement this I see is:

        if in_field = "field1" and for_this_string = "foo"
        then
           result = "found";
        if in_field = "field2" and for_this_string = "foo"
        then
           result = "found";

and so on. The problem isn't the "object notation" but the
record notation. I can access an record field with
"record.fieldname = ..." and now I want a variable
"fieldname" to spare myself from the long way described
bellow. I'm looking for a short notation like
"record.$fieldname". I hope I can make you understand. :-)

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de