From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada and Its Image
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:29:37 +0200
Date: 2011-04-18T09:29:37+02:00	[thread overview]

George <mail2george@gmx-topmail.de> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Ada is a great language, I love it. Ada is known and famous as a language
> for reliable and mission-critical software development also usable for
> real-time applications. In a lot of applications features like rapid
> development for small apps are required.
>
> In verbal and written communication Ada's heritage from military and DoD
> is emphasized. A lot of programmers reject everything related to defense
> and war and would therefore never look at Ada.

Like, for example, TCP/IP? (invented by the Defense Advanced Research
Project Agency).

> The amount of keywords and constructs in Ada is higher than in other
> languages. Ada is supposed to be complex and difficult to learn.

Then that's why they invented C++, I suppose.

> Requirements for programming languages have shifted. In today's world
> programming languages are used to make small apps developed in just a
> few hours. Rapid development, use for software design and ease to
> learn is important and the ability to use it for many different
> purposes from embedded programming to web development is key.

Not true.  This is only because the barrier of entry into programming is
so low that millions of hobbyists and amateurs can now call themselves
"programmers".  But it takes years to become a real software engineer.
I can assure you that large-scale programs are not only alive and well,
they're also larger and more critical than ever.

> Ada can do all this but its usage rates remain rather on a low level.
>
> Ada is suitable to be used as a language for software design (http://
> ) and small apps like life-science services running on smart phones
> requiring stability and correctness.

On top of a fragile, bug-ridden smart phone operating system?

> We could change the image of Ada to a language that rocks. What about
> writing a book about Ada in a new style like the Head First books?
> What about extending the communication about Ada and emphasizing it
> advanges for software design, web and app development? What about
> teaching students to use Ada for just that?

Great ideas.  Are you going to dive Head First into making them reality?

> What do you think?

What we think doesn't matter much, unfortunately.  It is what we do that
matters.

--
Ludovic Brenta.