From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk>
Subject: Re: how do do with IDE ? Do they really suck or do I do not know how to handle GPS ?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 08:56:35 +0100
Date: 2018-03-15T08:56:35+01:00	[thread overview]

Mehdi Saada wrote:

> For those who do not use modern IDE and DO NOT USE EMACS, who do you
> do?

When I work in vi, I simply remember where things are declared.

For projects too big for that I use Emacs or GPR.

GPS *can* take you from an object name to its declaration, and then from
the type name in the object declaration to the type declaration.  But
this only works if you compile your source text, so GPS knows which
names match which declarations.

If your source text doesn't compile, the meaning of the identifiers
isn't really well-defined.  (I have heard that developers working on GPS
at AdaCore are looking into expanding the cases, where GPS can make
sensible guesses about the meaning of identifiers, but that's not
available yet.)

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Being an absolute ruler today was not as simple as people
 thought.  At least, it was not simple if your ambitions