* Help with Research
@ 2005-02-19 18:18 elena
From: elena @ 2005-02-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
using for a research project on programmers.

It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.

I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
Association convention in August.

The study link is:

                     http://www.elena.com

The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.

I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
random sample.

Thanks again for your time,

Elena

* Re: Help with Research
@ 2005-02-19 22:28 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-02-19 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

elena@monmouth.com wrote:

> I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
> better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
> random sample.

A self-selected sample, such as you will get from this posting, is not
random.

--
Jeff Carter
"Sir Lancelot saves Sir Gallahad from almost certain temptation."

* Re: Help with Research
@ 2005-02-20 22:05 ` svaa
From: svaa @ 2005-02-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be a amusing game, but I hope you don't pretend get any
scientific result from such "survey".

One of the most important thing in stadistics is a random sample. The
only thing you will get is

"The x% of people that have read, and decided to spend some time
answering this survey say..."

The real result of this survey is

In a sample of comp.lang.ada:
don't know/don't answer/have't read  99.99%
Result A 0.005%
Result B 0.005%

The American Psychological Association must be an amateur association
if they accept a web survey. If they are serious, don't  present it,
they will laught at you.